Day 104: One journey ends and another begins


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Wickham
August 3rd 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.9065, -1.16286

Our stay in the southern Loire at Camping Le Cormier at Obterre was very relaxing and enjoyable, particularly as we were blessed with lots of warmth and sunshine in a tranquil and friendly setting. Whilst we got out and about there was also a great deal of chilling out. As Le Tour drew to its conclusion, David was watching the ITV4 daily stages on a large screen which Mike had set up in the barn. On our last day he was out on his bike for a final French ride along the quiet lanes of the southern Loire before settling down to watch the final Paris stage during the afternoon.

So we left Camping Le Cormier at Obterre after extending our original one week stay to eleven nights for our final transfer in France before the ferry back to the UK.

We enjoyed visiting Loches which has an interesting historic area rich in architecture and a fine market on Saturdays, so much so that we went a second time, indulging in a delicious lunch at well-rated restaurant - L'entracte in the old part of town. Particularly noteworthy was David's tomato tarte tatin, so I shall be seeking out a recipe when back home and attempt to recreate it, and I had lean, tender steak with a delicate yet tasty sauce. In view of the locality, we had a very nice bottle of lightly fizzy Vouvray which went down a treat.

Whilst on the subject of dining out, we had lunch in nearby Saint Flovier at Auberge de la Source which must have been the ultimate in value for such tasty dining. The menu du jour is charged at 12.60€ per person for four courses (cheese being course number three, as they do in France) and 1/4 litre of wine - just two choices per course - but all freshly prepared and so tasty. It was a good indication that so many locals were dining, but we couldn't fault it for the price.

Another day, we drove to the medieval town of Angles sur l'Anglin which has an upper and lower part (bit like Bridgnorth) and is very quaint and picturesque (bit like the Cotswolds). After a coffee and croissant stop it was pleasant to just meander.

Well, all good things must come to an end, so we bade farewell to Cath, Mike and Bessie. The latter is Mike's inspirational 93-year old mother who lives in an annexe to their home and is so sprightly and bright as a button. Each morning, before it got too hot, she would embark on a couple of circuits of the campsite, acknowledging campers also along the way, loving to chat and drink tea.

Our final French transfer to Ouistreham (the port for Caen) was quite straightforward and a distance of just over 200 miles, but we seemed to have left the sunshine behind as the skies became grey and the outside temperature noticeably cooler. We had travelled some of the route in 2013 as we journeyed home from our 'grand tour' and similarly we decided to make a lunch stop on the last 'aire' before the Caen ring road. When we saw the sign 'frites' pointing ahead we realised it was exactly the same mobile catering unit we had used before, so bought a portion of chips which we used to make 'butties' in the caravan! Made a delicious change from the usual cheese, tomato and baguette which had become the norm over the past months and a reminder of home.

Back on the road again, we negotiated the Caen peripherique before turning off towards the ferry port of Ouistreham and our overnight stop at Camping Riva Bella which is just minutes from the terminal, so ideal for our 7.30 check-in the following morning which thankfully was straightforward, with none of the holdups that Dover sailings had experienced. After departing on schedule, it was time for breakfast followed by several hours to kill before docking at Portsmouth early afternoon.

With disembarkation, passport control and customs quickly out of the way, we were very soon on the M27 westwards and on our way to Rookesbury Park Caravan Site from where we had started three months ago. Meanwhile, our daughter and her husband were on their way in the opposite direction to the Maternity Unit of Portsmouth's Queen Alexandra Hospital for the imminent birth of their first child, and our first grandchild. After an anxious night, Elena Mai came into the world at 6.25 on the morning of Wednesday, 27th July, weighing 7lbs exactly. How relieved we were that all went well and that we were back on 'home' soil to meet this special little girl, as well as to help out when they went home the following day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb