Going country - cheese making in Devon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Taunton
September 28th 2008
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

For Scott’s birthday I took him away for the weekend to a lovely B&B on the boarder of Devon and Somerset - Hagley Bridge Farm. The purpose was the learn how to make cheese! It was lovely to wake up to the noise of cows mooing in the paddock. Scott had a full English breakfast; meat galore. Then we had to don white coats and our newly bought gumboots. We then learnt how to make cheese; gouda, halloumi, soft cheese and a cream fresh type thing. We stirred, shook, poured, pattered and the cheese and made stacks of it. At lunch we tasted some of the farm Gouda which was 9 months old. It was divine. After the cheese was done and all in the press we went off for a walk around the property and caught a glimpse of the rolling hills of England - very pretty. And I got to feed a cow! That evening we walked to the local pub for a classic English country pub meal. The following morning we got to taste the halloumi we had made, and it wasn’t bad, in fact it was good!
That morning Scott had a lesson in clay pigeon shooting, I however decided not too, found it all too loud and frightening. In the afternoon we went on a bike ride along the canal finishing up at the local pub. A great weekend in the country!
Photos




Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb