To Porlock


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Porlock
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we got up and I had shower. The showers at the Sun have yet to be refurbished. It was fine but you push a button to get about ten seconds of shower, then you press the button again to continue. We got an excellent cooked breakfast and chatted to our fellow guests - the place has three roms so it is friendly - then we took 0ff.

Stoped briefly in the Sanctuary near Avebury then again by Silbury Hill. We decided not to wander too far fro m the bike. This would have meant semi unpackig and carrying a load of gear. Instead we rode on through Devizes, down to Glastonbury which smells of hippies (unless a BPAL lorry just discharged its entire load. The tor could be seen from a long way off and I got to enjoy the scenery from the back of the bike. I would have liked to have stopped but it was packed - nowhere to -park, so we rode on. We stopped at a Harley dealership in Bridgewater, had a coffee, chatted to people, then on to Porlock to check into the Castle.

Porlock is a bit chaotic (being bank holiday weekend this is not surprising) though I do remember it being quieter. Our room has a fine view but this hotel has an Elvis theed entertainment tonight. We are heading elsewhere till it's over!

Once installed we took off on foot and walked down to the sea past West Porlock to Porlock weir where we saw lots of boats out of water as the tide was out and ate chocolate icecream. We walked back via forrested footpaths and bridlepaths, mostly going up, which led to some fantastic views. It was a very good walk and took best part of four hours, though there was some hanging uut involved. Ashley saw a deer. We saw a load of robins and other birds. We hardly saw any people. It did start to rain a bit towards the end but we were mostly kept dry by being under trees.

Ashley has now had his shower and is talking about beer. There is wireless here but we will need to speak to the hotel staff to find out how to log into it. Depends on whether the -person who knows is around, I guess.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb