Walk down Memory Lane


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Frome
January 21st 2010
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Stone HengeStone HengeStone Henge

Just one more pile of rocks. This one we passed on the road to Frome. It was interesting to see the mounds and the river that surround stone henge that we had seen a doco on just before we left Aus.
Geo: 51.2288, -2.32283

Well a trip to the UK would not be complete without a visit to my birth place. Yes I am a pom!! Darren and I managed to guide the Shorty to a tiny village called Trudoxhill near Frome where Cousin Bev, better known as CB lives. CB had provided directions however it was getting dark, wet and cold and we were a bit skeptical when we turned into one of those tiny country lanes, hedges on both sides and Darren made the comment "Crap where are we going now". I thought he was being a bit of a woose considering where we have been but all turned out well when we drove though the tiny village looking like something out of all creatures great and small and found CB's.

The following day, CB played tourist guide and took us around the district. We visited Wells with its wonderful cathedral, sacred wells, the country hospital where I was born, my first house and several of the neighboring villages where my Grandparents lived. We were both amazed when we stared down over the picturesque country side and watched a hunt in progress. We heard the hunt horn and saw the dogs
Wells Country HospitalWells Country HospitalWells Country Hospital

Closed now and not looking too impressive but still.
and horses. Also spotted pheasants that look pretty cool really.

Met some nice guy who commented in his broad Somerset accent as we left. You know, it is easy to spot an Australian, they have narrow wrists and ankles. Hmmm!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

On the Drawbridge of Wells CathedralOn the Drawbridge of Wells Cathedral
On the Drawbridge of Wells Cathedral

Note the walking pole. Darren sprained his ankle on the stairs and is limping badly.
Wells CathedralWells Cathedral
Wells Cathedral

Now I know you would expect Wells to be famous because I was born there but it does have a Chapel that seems to get more Press!
Cathedral RoofCathedral Roof
Cathedral Roof

Okay so this is impressive. They have a great organ and we are off to a chanting evening which should be amazing.
Cathedral Chapel RoomCathedral Chapel Room
Cathedral Chapel Room

The bishops of the various parishes sit in this round room in front of their gold plaques and discuss Cathedral Business.
Alms CottagesAlms Cottages
Alms Cottages

This was such a crazy street. The cottages were for the use of the Chapel.
Cousin Bev and LisaCousin Bev and Lisa
Cousin Bev and Lisa

Frozen chickens


27th January 2010

Watch where you put your hands now, none of this licentious Aussie behaviour please.
27th January 2010

Clever to hold a pose like that lying on your side. What you drinking?
29th January 2010

Good thing your bringing the 4x4 Jack back with you, might biuld me self one of these.... now just got to find myself some big rocks..

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb