1st Anniversary


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Hotel


Additional maps: Bath

[youtube=7jDu7MfSedg][youtube=AdCUmx6UAOw]
Mark on the trainMark on the trainMark on the train

Here's Mark on the train on our way to Bath.
We can't believe it's been a year since we said "I do". In some ways, it seems like just yesterday. In others, it seems we've been married forever. To celebrate our one year anniversary, we decided to take a 3 day trip to the Roman Baths. Mark had made many of the arrangements, including a hot air balloon ride overlooking the Baths. Unfortunately, the weather was uncooperative twice during those crucial hours the pilots make their decisions to fly. Therefore, we were unable to ride. 😞 We still have our voucher though and hope to be able to use it within the next year. It didn't matter though! We both had an exquisite time.

We started Sunday morning with a six hour train ride down to Bath. The train ride was pretty uneventful and a bit long. Once we arrived in Bath, we needed to take a taxi ride to our hotel. We had booked Bath Lodge, a historical, quaint castle about 7 miles from the city center (or so it said). It was really 7 miles outside of the edge of Bath. We learned just how far and how expensive 7 miles really is. We got to know our
Kaitlyn on the trainKaitlyn on the trainKaitlyn on the train

Here's Kaitlyn on the train on our way to Bath.
taxi driver quite well. 😊 The castle was wonderful. It had a very bed and breakfast type of feel. Very romantic and highly recommended!

After quickly unloading our stuff, we hopped back in the taxi and drove back into the city center. That night we had planned to do the Bath Comedy Tour. This was a non-history tour that basically made a laugh of all of the sights and sounds. Kaitlyn even got to be a part of the act! See the photos!

Monday we toured all day, seeing all the in's and out's of Bath. In the morning, we did the Mayor's tour. The tour led us to many places we hadn't seen yet. Mark was enthralled with the amount of history he learned, especially those little random facts of knowledge. For anyone who doesn't know, Mark is very quick at knowing very random facts. Such that, people at work have nicknamed him "Cliff" as in Cliff from the television series Cheers. We have lots of info within our pictures and videos to explain more. It was great spending our one year anniversary together, being able to enjoy each other's company and tour around a new city.
Mark on the train 2Mark on the train 2Mark on the train 2

I can't wait until we get to Bath!
Since the weather was a bit uncooperative, and our hot air balloon trip wasn't able to happen, we decided to go for a nice walk. We walked through the Royal Victorian Park and decided to play at the park. We are such kids at heart! Photos and videos explain it all! 😊 That night we also decided to take a ghost walk. This was just a free walk given by a volunteer from the town, so we questioned just how good it would be. Nonetheless, we showed up and we're the only ones who did. However, we had an absolute blast! We were both able to get a bit more history on the town. As we were almost through, we came across these very old apartments. Kaitlyn was just casually looking at the windows and suddenly an old lady with white curly hair peered from behind the curtain. She (Kaitlyn) screamed so loud asking if Mark and the guide had seen the lady from behind the curtains. Mark said he hadn't. However, just then, the lady appeared again from behind the curtains and this time Mark got the startle. We both had a good laugh! Just proves how in-the-zone we were.

Tuesday, we had a wonderful breakfast in the breakfast room at our hotel. Full English Breakfast cooked to order. After that, we walked and toured. Everywhere you turned, there was some new architectural building to see or a sign with new information. That afternoon, we were back on the train for a six hour trip back to reality.




Additional photos below
Photos: 141, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

View of BathView of Bath
View of Bath

Taken from the taxi ride to get to our hotel.
Castle/Hotel EntranceCastle/Hotel Entrance
Castle/Hotel Entrance

We stayed at the Bath Lodge. It is a small castle located 7 miles outside of the city center. We got to know our taxi driver quite well!
View of Bath 2View of Bath 2
View of Bath 2

This is another view taken from our taxi ride.
Castle?Castle?
Castle?

Castle on the hillside... we think...
WierWier
Wier

The River Avon... which is actually saying River River in Welch
ChurchChurch
Church

Great on the outside wait tell you see the inside.
New Bond StreetNew Bond Street
New Bond Street

Has anyone seen the "OLD BOND ST" ???
Family CrestFamily Crest
Family Crest

Queen Victoria's family crest.
HospitalHospital
Hospital

Royal Mineral Water Hospital... yeah we thought the same thing.
Just usJust us
Just us

We tried to get the cathedral in the background, but it didn't work quite like we wanted.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb