Two nights in Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
September 17th 2005
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

StonehengeStonehengeStonehenge

Gaile w/the 1/10 scale reconstruction Hello, it's a mural!
We are using Bath as a place to stay while we explore SW England. First day: Stonehenge - did you know they have reconstructed Stonehenge as it originally was 5000 years ago? We took photographic proof!

Seriously, the trip to Stonehenge was a highlight of the trip and something we had been looking forward to. We learned a lot. One thing for me was that these gigantic stones were put together with mortise and tenon joints, you can still see a rounded tenon on one of the upright stones. I had no idea.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until we left the area, I read that Avebury, a nearby village is even larger, with older stones and you can walk among them as they are part of the village "structure". We did visit Devizes - crop circle country and home to Wadworth Brewery.
We spent the end of the 1st day seeing Lacock Abbey, site of some Harry Potter film shooting. It was closed but we got some nice exterior shots. And then zooming (actually there is no zooming there) through Castle Combe "the prettiest village in England".

2nd day we head for Cheddar Gorge and the caves that are
StonehengeStonehengeStonehenge

The real thing
there and hopefully taste some great cheese. Gough's Cave was amazing. Mr. Gough spent a better part of his lifetime excavating and reinforcing the cave he discovered so everyone could see the beautiful formations of stalagmites and stalagtites. His wife used the cave and it's constant temperature to store cheese. We bought some cheese, and crackers too in the rural village.

Headed for Bristol, but we had absolutely no luck finding the market we were looking for, see first entry - streets not having signs or changing names every block or so, etc. We eventually said "UNCLE!" and went back for our "Bizarre Bath" evening tour that was 90% comedy routine and 10% tour, but mostly lots of fun. We had a view of the Bath Abbey from our window.

Next morning, we knew we could do it! We headed back to Bristol to see the Clifton Suspension Bridge and to look at it through the camera obscura (our book said this gives you an idea of what people did before television, and it was interesting people watching) that is set up on a hill overlooking it. Very cool, and then we found a nice pub for brunch
Lacock AbbeyLacock AbbeyLacock Abbey

Can you just imagine Harry Potter here?
before heading on to Wales! I can't wait.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Castle CombeCastle Combe
Castle Combe

This picture does not do it justice.
Cheddar GorgeCheddar Gorge
Cheddar Gorge

Mr. Gough's cave
Bath AbbeyBath Abbey
Bath Abbey

Bath Abbey from our 4th floor (huff & puff) room window
Clifton Suspension BridgeClifton Suspension Bridge
Clifton Suspension Bridge

75m high over the Avon Gorge, took 28 yrs to build. Designed by Brunel.


19th October 2005

wasnt the visit to"cheeder gorge" a bit cheesey? {:

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb