Shropshire 36 - Hodnet /they took the roof off/ leek and potato soup and a Shropshire Ploughmans/a spring garden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire
April 26th 2023
Published: April 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Somehow this week has been an old one . The weather is still somewhat cool for the time of year but when the sun does break through it can be pleasant and Springlike . Everywhere seems to bursting out in green . The trees that last week looked dead have burst into life . The hedgerows are full of the scent of onions as the Wild Garlic blossoms and the Bluebells carpet the woods in a haze of blue .



We are trying to get out despite having yet another infection . A week of coughing, spluttering, sleepless nights and feeling under the weather . We have a holiday to sort out so no time to wallow in misery.



According to a Japanese proverb "Trying to do two things at once will make you fail at both " We are definately juggling too many things at the moment . The Sanef tag has been fitted to the car with no name . It has not been used since last April when we travelled down the motorways south to the Med . We always worry the batteries will be flat and won't know until we get to the first peage. We have sorted out money to pay for the accommodation . A novelty after so many years of not knowing where we would be stopping for the night or how much it would cost . We found euros which we had not used in the September holiday which was cut short. We have tried to pack bags not knowing what clothes we might need for the trip. In the motorhome we had clothes for all eventualities. The car has neither the space in the boot nor on the back seat to accomodate clothing for every condition known to man . We have be selective and hope what we take will suit every occaision. The temperature in Cogolin where we are staying is around 20 degrees at this time of year so that does give us a clue or two . We have purchased a SIM for data but that has gone back to the shop as it was on contract rather than just one month SIM. We are still trying to sort that one out with the shop. A second SMARTY SIM has been purchased . They advertise it as No Malarky which generally should mean easy to set up and easy to use . However without any internet working at home it was not quite as easy as they promised to get it working . Hopefully now that has been sorted out. All things we took for granted in Gabby and now finding it hard to get it all sorted again . The passports and everything else is taking out and put back in again . Yes it is hard to do two things at once .



The second thing we were trying to do was organise one last visit before we leave on holiday . Saturday morning will be an early start with a train booked for Calais at 15.20 . As we drove to our destination for the day out we tried to work out how long it would take us to get to Ashford to the Eurotunnel site . We had not driven down in a car since 2010. We also would have to stop for breakfast on the M1. Normally we would stop in the van , use our own facilities and then move on . Our first and second stops would be at service stations which would take up more time than eating and drinking in the van. If we set out early enough we should get down at 13.20 and hopefully gain an advantage of an earlier train . But it is a Bank Holiday weekend . Only one day off though so hopefully none of the rush of the schoolchildren on school trips over the next long Bank Holiday at the end of May . There won't be any school holidays apart from one day on the Monday so we should get a good journey down . And we shall be away for that bank holiday and the following one for the Coronation .



So where was our destination today ? Hodnet Hall . Just a few miles down the road . A journey of around half an hour to forty five minutes depending on traffic . I had earmarked this one for last summer but kept putting it off due to the high cost of admission . £9 each , paid in advance on line and if it rained the money would be lost . In the end the weather looked pretty promising today and it was possible to pay on the gate which took out the lottery of the weather . Parking was easy . Being a Wednesday at 11am as soon as they opened there were not many visiting .However the numbers did increase over the morning . We paid our £9 each and I pondered why I did not purchase this months copy of Gardeners World magazine . I picked it up and thought it might be interesting to take on holiday . On the front was the usual ticket 2 for the price of 1 entry to selected gardens . The cost of the magazine had risen for around £5 to £8.50 so back on the shelf it went . Upon looking at the windows on the payment desk I could see that had I purchased the magazine I would have been able to use the 2 for 1 card and paid only £9 for the two of us . The card could have been used throughout 2023 to visit other gardens . Sometimes you get it wrong and perhaps putting that magazine back on the shelf was one of those occasions .



The area the house is situated in is described as being in a picturesque enclave of rounded hills and wooded valleys. It is a quiet place now that the Hodnet by pass goes around the village rather than through it . The gardens have existed for many years and have been changed over time . Some parts landscaped in a Capability Brown fashion. Others quiet corners full of daffodils gone past their best or Bluebells hidden beneath the trees . Our first stop was the tea shop . Run by the local farm up the road . Maynards of Weston under Redcastle . The tea rooms were part of the original hall . Black and white magpie building set in a quiet corner with tables and chairs outside . Inside was the largest stuffed fish I had ever seen. A young child came in and his first words were oooooooh and aaaaaah as he looked with wonderment on the enormous pike . We ordered a capuccino and the usual double espresso and took our seats . We virtually had the place to ourselves . We checked out the lunch menu . The usual sandwiches with specials on the boards. Leek and Potato soup, a Shropshire Ploughmans plus various other options . We had made our minds up . A walk around the gardens and then lunch at 12. There were so many paths it was easy to take your time and keep out of the way of other visitors .



The borders were quite green . Perhaps Spring is not the best time for this garden . The Rhodedrums were not quite out . The Camellias just going over . The Azaleas though were a pretty sight . Yellows , pinks , whites and bright reds . They brightened up the garden . Huge tubs of white and yellow tulips were placed in the courtyard of the cafe . As the summer wears on the borders would become a kaleidescope of colour with the perennials that were now hidden beneath the soil . Perhaps I can pick up Gardeners World magazine over the next few days and get that 2 for 1 offer and we can come back to Hodnet in June .

The original Hodnet Hall was timber framed mansion set in a damp corner of the estate . Little wonder the family were not happy with its location . The Heber - Percy family vacated that home in 1865 and built the red brick pile that we almost see today . On higher grounds it gave views to the nearby hills , was probably more healthier than the damp location of the other house and provided a vista to the roman folly they built across the road . The terraced walks we trod on today were formed then as was the formal circle garden to one side of the house . I found myself thinking of the name Heber and then realised that my children went to the aptly named Bishop Heber High School . So who was the said Bishop Heber? . An extremely famous man it is fair to say. If you go to church and know your hymns then Bishop Heber might just be a name you know . He was a member of the family but born in Malpas . He became rector of St Lukes the local Hodnet church before becoming Archbishop of Calcutta . He wrote those famous words "From Greenlands icy mountains " amongst other hymns that have come down to the 21st century and still sung in churches. You might even have sung his hymns .



The gardens were predominately set to water features . Lake after lake filled the park . Each one bigger than the last . The story goes that one owner of the house invited his friends round for the weekend . Part of the deal was that they dug ponds over the weekend . Tiny bridges crossed the streams . Waterfalls fell from one lake to the next one . The cherry trees in blossom reflected in the pools . This was an unexpected garden . The walls in front of the house were rather bare and I had not expected much. However even the greenery was interesting and there were hints of what was to come . Delicate pink candelabra primulas covered the banks . Primaeval looking water plants lined the edges . A tennis court could be seen in the distance .



We virtually had the park to ourselves and were able to climb up and down the steps from one level to the next . To cross the tiny bridges from one side to the other . We both agreed that we had expected little but were very impressed . Metal sculptures were placed in strategic spots just waiting to catch your eye.



The house was a little odd. It once had three stories . It was designed by Anthony Salvin and modelled on nearby Condover Hall. In 1967 the owners decided that remodelling was required. The house had around 72 rooms . A whole third floor probably once housed servants and more than likely was now empty . The house was becoming a little old fashioned and hard to heat . An architect was hired and the idea of removing the entire third floor was mooted . Once that floor was removed the house could be reroofed and consist of two floors and an outside courtyard . Much more manageable and to be fair it did look good . Without seeing the old photographs of the house with its three stories it was hard to imagine what it once must have looked like with its many chimneys and fancy windows .



Our final stop of the day was to order the soup and the Ploughmans . The soup was thick and creamy accompanied with brown seeded bread and washed down with a pot of Earl Grey tea. The Shropshire ploughmans turned out to be a feast with two cheeses . One creamy white stilton. The other a shropshire yellow cheese , rocket salad, spring onions , radish, pickled onions , home cooked ham , cucumber , tiny tomatoes, celery a quarter of a pork pie with brown bread . A pot of tea in a blue and white pot completed the lunch .



Verdict on the garden. Much better than we expected . A pleasant place to while away a few hours and forgot about all the holiday planning for a few hours .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb