Off to Ironbridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire » Ironbridge
May 7th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We started the day with a breakfast and joined by a gentleman who was leading a walk for Ironbridge Festival. The history was fascinating. In the late 1600's a community of Quakers developed a number of businesses. When the need arose for a work force, they went to Wales. This explains the ongoing "differences" between the folks on different sides of the River Severn. I want to figure out a way to understand the history of the Quaker tradition. It seems as we travel the various parts of the world, Quaker innovation is evident.

The area around Ironbridge is described as the "Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution". This description is based on the idea that Abraham Darby perfected the technique of smelting iron with coke, in Coalbrookdale, allowing much cheaper production of iron. The Darbys were an impressive family. We walked The Coalbrookdale Trail, taking in the Museum of Iron, Coalbrookdale Ironworks, Darby's houses,Dale and Rosehill.

We walked from Coalport to Ironbridge along the Severn River. Stopping along the way for China Museum, Tile Factory and St. Mary the Virgin Church in Jackfield. The Iron Bridge is a World Heritage Site. Stopped at The Boat House for a beer, and had an enjoyable conversation with the owner. A door on the pub indicated the various flood levels over the years...looked like a tough place for a business. She had been trpped in the upstairs apt. a couple of times.

Evidences of a days gone by vibrant economy was also demonstrated at Blists Hill Victorian Town. A Old Sturbridge Village type living museum, focused around the brick factory. Of interest was the significance of the Severn River. On display was a refurbished "Spry", the last known surviving Lower Severn Trow, which once carried cargo on the River Severn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb