Day 18 - finally at Oxford and back onto the canal network.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire
June 2nd 2013
Published: June 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 18 - to Oxford.


4 locks, 98 in total.







We were punished for mooring illegally on Sandford Lock moorings – Saturday evening is disco boat time! Huge boats going to and fro through the lock, music blaring, etc. Perhaps we should have stayed for the concert at Abingdon after all. Mind you, a slice of Clair's delicious homemade lemon cake made everything ok again – thank you Clair.







As we neared Oxford today we passed loads of large boathouses for the rowing fraternity, who were out in force for a Sunday practice. Sculls go faster than us and have right of way – how unfair is that!! Suddenly we were in Oxford, the downstream flow abated somewhat and we were able to see and enjoy our surroundings once more. The Oxford Canal is entered from the Thames via Sheepwash Channel – narrow, very low bridges – and then comes the first of the Oxford Canal lock. These are narrow locks and only one narrowboat goes in at a time – no lock sharing and very speedy fills and empties. We moored soon after as John is going to collect the car from our old marina, take it back home, (do some gardening!) and return here late Wednesday. For his sins he is also taking home all the dirty washing as there is no laundrette within reach – not quite in the spirit of the adventure but you can't really argue with the logic. For my part, I am moored in a particularly uninspiring place but it's near the station and fairly close to the centre of Oxford. I'm tempted by a Morse theme walk but it may not be suitable with Hattie – watch this space.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Sheepwash ChannelSheepwash Channel
Sheepwash Channel

Unused swing bridge, now discarded.
At the very start of the Oxford CanalAt the very start of the Oxford Canal
At the very start of the Oxford Canal

We turned left onto the canal but originally a right turn would have taken us to the absolute beginning and a large canal basin for mooring, etc. This was turned into a car park many years ago and now only 30' or less boats can travel the few hundred yards. We're 51' so we didn't.
Bigger picture of structureBigger picture of structure
Bigger picture of structure

but would rather they'd returned the car park to a canal basin.
Oxford CastleOxford Castle
Oxford Castle

... which was also a prison for much of it's life.
Ate lunch here .....Ate lunch here .....
Ate lunch here .....

... those who know me well will understand! Actually the food was great too.
And the first lock.....And the first lock.....
And the first lock.....

....cheap numbering compared to the K & A.


2nd June 2013

lunch
Was the lunch venue a "theory" of yours???? Enjoy Oxford, and the anticipation of clean clothes Sarah

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb