Suits and Superheroes


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
October 15th 2006
Published: October 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our weekend in Oxford was wicked and full of great adventure. The highlight was when Jack tore off his shirt and swooped out in front of oncoming traffic so save a baby in a wayward stroller. Then he dashed back to safety only to see its mother crying from a burning window 7 storeys up. It was a leap worthy of a video game, and all were brought to safety by modest Jack who then had time for a pint at the pub with us afterward. Ok not really but he asked me to write something along those lines.....

This weekend was matriculation for the newbies at Oxford, so in between pub hopping we watched the guys get all dressed up with their white bow ties and sign into St Johns College. The photo process took forever but was rectified by some cheap champagne and an episode of scrubs in the common room after.

Saturday night was the BOP (Big Old Party) which was super hero themed. We were slack and went uncostumed, but Steve donned a besheet, Heather a tail, and Ashley found it a great excuse to buy herself and Dave a heart decorated pink paddle..... I hope everyone's been good. It was a good night, though was infiltrated by the undergrads in their nurse and firemen uniforms later in the evening.

The hospitality of the Oxford folk was impressive and very welcoming. Jack's finest hour was bringing us midnight toblerone and then cooking a pearler of a fry up on Sunday morning - thanks Jack! We were also invited to cream tea and scones on Sunday afternoon which was very British and very tasty. I think tea and scones has a bad rep - its an awesome way to spend a lazy afternoon.

But Oxford was not all tea and creamcakes, we did actually get to see some of the city. On Friday Steve and Jack took us for a highlights of Oxford tour around the city. Personal favourites inlcuded the deer farm at Magdalen College (I think) and the Hall and stairwell of Christ Church College which featured in Harry Potter. Sunday we took a walk along the water meadow behind town which was a great way to ease a slight hangover. We had a good picnic and checked out the countryside and then it was back to town before we all turned into Pumpkins.

It's a really cute town - the old university and college buildings are just awesome and it has a really neat atmosphere with all the students wandering around half cut and spouting intellectual obsenities. It was really good to see it from a psuedo-local perspective and great to be able to hang out with friends and hear about all of their adventures. But we've got a whole lot more catching up with people to do, so next we're back to London again.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb