Oxford Update


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
August 5th 2006
Published: August 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sandown ParkSandown ParkSandown Park

The horses crossing the finish line! We could stand right in front of it.
Well, I decided it is about time for a post about what things have been like here in Oxford... This might be kind of random, as it will just be covering a few events from the last week and a half.

First of all, the weather this week has been drastically different from the first week. I have been wearing my jacket every day, all the time because it is quite cool and windy here. Additionally, it is pretty much always overcast and rains about once a day (though not usually really hard or for very long at once.) It is nice having the cooler (and much more Oxford-typical) weather...it makes for much nicer sleeping conditions!!

Two Wednesdays ago we went to Sandown Park, which is one of the larger horseracing tracks in the UK. It was a lot of fun- there were 6 races that night, and we basically spent the time rushing between the paddock, betting stand, and the racetrack. (Don't worry- I just placed one bet- the smallest allowed- on each race and that was it!) I ended up breaking even for the night too, so I am quite pleased. Although, if one more horse had
Sandown ParkSandown ParkSandown Park

Nate and I in front of the paddock.
won, I would have made 30 pounds! psh 😊

This past Wednesday we went to Stratford and saw The Tempest performed at a Shakespearean theatre. Patrick Stewart was Prospero in it...he's the guy in Star Trek and X-men, for those of you who care... 😊 Stratford is a really small town, and while it was really cute there's not a whole lot to do there other than wander around shops and see a play! One afternoon there is more than enough to see everything there. Oh yes, I also saw Shakespeare's birth house...

We've been going to a lot of Shakespearean plays in the evenings here. Most nights at least one of the 30 colleges in Oxford will be putting on one, so I've seen: The Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice, The Importance of Being Earnest (ok, not Shakespeare...whatever), and will be seeing Macbeth this next week. Mozart is also pretty popular here, and I've been to 2 different Mozart concerts- both of them were different (one with singing, one without) and really good!

Yesterday (Saturday) we went to Blenheim Palace in Woodstock. We toured the Palace and grounds, and it is beautiful. The
Shakespeare's houseShakespeare's houseShakespeare's house

Well, you can't really see the house that well, but this is the place where Shakespeare was born. We didn't pay the £6 to get in, but I saw pictures in the gift shop :)
grounds especially were lovely- there was a HUGE rose garden that smelled marvelous, and a lake, waterfall, and lots of statues. It was quite a fun afternoon!

After we got back, we went to mass (since we'll be gone all day today) and therefore missed dinner. So we ate at a bar on the way back called The Eagle and Child. It was really nice, and the neat thing about it is that it is where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein used to meet to discuss and read their books as they were writing them. Because of this, they have Lewis and Tolkein items up all around the place. They had an incredible chocolate dessert, too...!

Now I am headed to breakfast and then we are going to Thorpe Park, which is supposedly the largest amusement park in Europe... Now there's a great cultural event...! 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Dirty DuckThe Dirty Duck
The Dirty Duck

A group of us getting dinner in Stratford before the play at the local favorite bar called The Dirty Duck. From left to right it is: Marlana, Heather, me, Nate, Mark.
StratfordStratford
Stratford

Marlana, Heather and I near the river in Stratford. These geese and swans were everywhere- and they were quite aggressive since they wanted people to feed them! Notice the clouds, too- it is always cloudy here, even if it doesn't rain at all that day.
Blenheim PalaceBlenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace

The front entrance to the palace. It is owned by the Duke of Marboulgh, and he and his family still live there.
Blenheim PalaceBlenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace

Another view of the front of the palace. This is about 1/4 of the front view- it was quite large.
Rose GardenRose Garden
Rose Garden

This does not begin to do it justice...but the rose garden was huge (this is about 1/8 of the garden pictured here) and the aroma it gave off was wonderful!! There were what seemed to be about 10 different types of roses in it.
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Nate and I by the waterfall at Blenheim Palace. The waterfall led into a stream with lily pads/flowers on it.
WeddingWedding
Wedding

They were getting ready for a wedding and reception at the Palace. For a mere £250,000 (approx.) you too can have your reception held at Blenheim Palace! (or so the tour guide told us.) I just liked the horse drawn carriage...


6th August 2006

You saw Patrick Stewart in a play that's awesome!...Sean Connery would have been better, but Stewart is the second best British actor in my opinion. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, we miss you at Sheridans :-) Dave

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb