Week 4, Trinity (2) and Tutorials


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
May 21st 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This has been an amazing week, complete with drenching showers, an umbrella purchase, and a cold.

No pictures at the moment: Yes, I am being a bad tourist. But I am also a student, and sitting in the Bodleian Library encased in bookshelves tends to drive cell phones and technology out of thought. As do dons who say the internet is a passing fad and email was invented for unnecessary conversations.

I'm a visiting student at Christ Church, an instant inductee into a world of traditions, words such as pidge, and formal dining hall. And tons and tons of history. Literally, from my college, founded in the 1500s, to a Saxon tower off Cornmarket St. (pedestrians only, lots of shops) to Christopher Wren's first building, the Sheldonian Theater in front of the Bodleian Library buildings. Things I would never have known are expected - my college crest, anyone? That's how I find the boathouse. Christ Church, or Chch has one on the canal.

So: Friday, first time to Bodleian; issued with cards; off to college; shown round; back to library to copy books for 3000 word paper assigned same day and due Monday. Saturday Garden Party in PM. Sunday, was going to go an annual Oxford-wide outdoors service but it was pouring so much only walked halfway. Submitted paper. Monday: another info session about the program; Tuesday: tutorial & formal dinner at Lady Margaret Hall; Wendesday: Bodleian! Rowing team!!! Dinner at informal hall! Library!! CU (Christian Union). And up at 5:30 to row today.

Tomorrow: swim qualifications for rowing and the boat attempts to qualify for Oxford Eights. Improbable but definitely a goal.

Advertisement



21st May 2009

Cheerio!
Hi Megan, Thanks so much for the travel blog! I am picturing everything you talk about and wonder how close I am. It seems like a different world almost and definitely wetter. You sound extremely busy and involved with college life and that's great. Rowing! Go for it!! Now you will have shoulder and arm muscles to display:) - Marcy
21st May 2009

Wow ..
Don't have a minute to take a deep breath do you! Sounds like an absolutely Fabulous experience. Hope you got on the rowing team. Karen
26th May 2009

Thanks for the updates
Megan, I'm glad you've arrived safely and are settling in! Thanks for keeping up in the blog! Kim Taylor

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb