Our visit to Southwell


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Southwell
May 11th 2019
Published: May 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Having seen all the beautiful exhibits at the Nottingham Show Floral Art. We headed to Southwell, our resting place for the night.

The Saracen's Head was once known as the King's Arms, established in the 12th Century. The hotel was rebuilt in the 16th Century. King Charles I famously stayed at the Inn during 1642 when he raised the Royal standard at Nottingham Castle to signal the start of the first Civil War. During the Civil War he paid a final visit on his last night of freedom after he escaped from London. The next day he surrendered in Kelham to the Scottish Commissioners. In 1651 the name of the hotel was changed to 'The Saracen's Head'. Believed to be an insult to the monarchy , due to the story that Charles I was beheaded by a Saracen's sword from the time of the Holy Wars.

It is said that as the Minster clock chimes in the dead of night, a few of the old Inn's permanent residents can be seen. Whether it be Old Tom, The Grey Lady or King Charles himself.

I'll let you know tomorrow if things go bump in the night !



After some liquid refreshment I thought I would go off for a wander.

Many years ago we had visited the Southwell Work House (National Trust property) but had not visited the famous Minster. Just a short stroll from the hotel set in beautiful grounds the Minster came into view.

As I entered the church I was greeted by the sound of an orchestra & choir practicing for a concert, the acoustics were wonderful. To sit in such beautiful surroundings listening to the sound of this group was so atmospheric.

Southwell Minster is the Cathedral of Nottinghamshire. For nearly one thousand years the Minster has been a place of pilgrimage.

In 956, the land was given by the King of Wessex to the Archbishop of York and a church was built. In 1108 the then Archbishop put in process the rebuilding of this Anglo-Saxon church.

The twin "pepperpot" towers were completed by 1170, while the celebrated Chapter House - with its wonderful carved stone leaves - was constructed circa 1300.

The Minster survived the Reformation relatively unscathed but, during the Civil War, it was damaged when used as stabling by Roundhead forces.

So much history in this beautiful place of worship.



Just across from the cathedral was the Bishop's Palace.

In the 10th Century it is believed archbishops built the first residence, which evolved and changed over time. The Palace that exists today was created atop medieval ruins of an earlier Palace of the Archbishops of York.



The Palace sheltered two pivotal men whose actions shaped the nation: Cardinal Wolsey (c 1473-1530) stayed here after failing to get Henry VIII’s first marriage annulled by the Pope. So too did King Charles I (1600-1649), whose struggles with Parliament led to Civil War. During the Civil War the Palace was partially dismantled and left in ruin for more than 150 years.



In 1884 the Palace was first restored as a residency under Bishop Trollope, when the Minster obtained cathedral status. Today the building is filled with the vitality of youthful singing from the Song School, an integral part of the Minster since 1234.



It was soon time to head back to the hotel - a delightful stroll finding a few gems on the way from the memorial park where the local bowls team were playing to the pretty courtyards & beautiful residential properties.



We came to Nottinghamshire for the flowers and have enjoyed so much more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.2511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb