Clivden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Nottingham
November 30th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday 30.11.2009 Day 47
Clivden

Cliveden is an Italianate stately-home at Taplow, Buckinghamshire, England. Set on cliffs 200 feet above the River Thames, it has been home to an Earl, two Dukes, a Prince of Wales and the Viscounts Astor. It is now owned by the National Trust and the house is leased as a five-star hotel run by von Essen hotels. During the 1970s it was occupied by Stanford University of California who used it as an overseas campus. It was the meeting place of the so-called "Cliveden Set" in the 1920s and 1930s and the setting for key events in the Profumo Affair in the 1960s.

"Cliveden" (pronounced CLIV-d'n) means "valley among cliffs"and refers to the dean or valley which cuts through the estate to the east and south of the house. The gardens and woodlands (375 acres) are open to the public, together with parts of the house on certain days. There have been three houses on this site: the first, built in 1666, burned down in 1795 and the second house (1824) was also destroyed by fire, in 1849. The present Grade 1 listed house was built in 1851 by the architect Charles Barry for George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 2nd Duke of Sutherland.

We went to Clivden a national Trust house and garden. It cost 3 pound each to get in. It was well worth it the gardens and house was fantastic we took lot of pic’s.
We then drove to Nottingham. We have a fantastic room here at the Park hotel when we got there they upgraded our room for free so we have our own personal balcony. We are close to the Uni and went for a walk around it tonight then had dinner at the Orange pub which had leather lounges and was all decorated for xmass with a live xmass tree that had red and black xmass directions including a black star.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb