DH Lawrence house and Sherwood forest


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Nottingham
December 1st 2009
Published: December 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 1.12.2009 Day 48
DH Lawrence house and Sherwood forest
We went to writer DH Lawrence house where he was born in Eastwood near Nottingham. Lawrence was the son of a miner, who went on to become the infamous author of “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” which was a band book in some countries for a few years. He married his professor’s wife after she left her husband for Lawrence. He and his wife traveled widely even going to Australia before he died in the South of France. His birth house and the nearby Durban House that has a lot of info on Lawrence are both free to get in on week days and at the birth house we were given a free guided tour.
We then drove to Sherwood Forest and walked to the Major Oak said to be Robin Hood hid out all though the tree is estimated to be 800 -1,000 years old. Robin Hood was said to have lived in the 11 or 12 centaury so at most this tree would have been about 200 years old when Robin Hood was around so there is no way it would have been big enough to hid in. Robin Hood started off as a word of mouth legend The first time this was written down was around 1400 there no evince that he existed. After the legend a lot of outlaws have used the name robin hood. If he did exist or not most of the story today about Robin hood are made up as nothing is actually know of his life.
We then drove to York known as the Chocolate City is home to Rowntrees and Terrys confectionery works. It has a long history and was founded by the Romans. Renamed Jorvik when the Vikings captured the city in 866 AD. For nearly 2000 years York has been the capital of the north, and it played a central role in British history under the Romans, Saxons and Vikings. We checked into our hotel and then when down the street and got pizza and pasta and a red wine for dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb