Southwell Minster


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Nottingham
January 27th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today Taylor and I decided that we'd go on a day trip. Our trip took us to Southwell Minster, about a 40 minute bus ride from Nottingham within Nottinghamshire. It was quite an interesting and fun trip, although a bit gloomy and rainy, but altogether not too bad.

We took a bus to the city centre and then caught the 100 bus to Southwell. It took awhile and there weren't very many people on the bus but it was still fun to actually see more than just the area around the university for a change. Once we got to Southwell we alighted and stepped into the tourist information centre to see what we could find out. There isn't a whole lot to do there but enough to keep Taylor and I busy for a few hours before we had to catch our bus back to Nottingham. So we talked to a very nice lady and then headed out.

Gossip's Coffee House: This was our first stop seeing as it was quite cold outside and they have a very good hot chocolate we were told. So we went and found out for ourselves that yes, indeed their hot chocolate was
Gossip's Coffee HouseGossip's Coffee HouseGossip's Coffee House

They have really good hot chocolate and scones.
awesome. It came with cream and real chocolate shavings. We also got a scone which was also quite good. Upon leaving, Taylor asked the old man at the counter what a Harrogate Slice was. It turns out to be a very yummy lemon bar with a bit of a twist involving coconut. Taylor got one to try and it was quite good, possibly a recommendation to try for yourself.

Saracen's Head: Our next destination was the Saracen's Head Inn. It is a 15 C. building which is quite unique and interesting. We didn't go in, especially since we heard that it houses quite an expensive restaurant. Instead we walked through to the back and took a few pictures. It's a very interesting building and I had read something while at Gossip's about Bramley Apples (the premier baking apple of England) and thus I took a picture when I saw the giant apple bearing the same name. The Inn is famous for it was the last place that Charles I stayed before he gave himself up to the Scots at Newark during the Civil War...just a bit of history for you.

The Minster: This building is massive and takes
Bramley Apple Free HouseBramley Apple Free HouseBramley Apple Free House

Bramley apples were discovered in Southwell and are England's premier baking apples.
up the most room in the town, most likely. It's a very interesting building which has been in use for thousands of years. Part of the roof to a Roman bathhouse which used to stand nearby is now inside the building. The architecture was really interesting and it was the first building that I'd been in where you could actually walk the entire length of it and understand that it was built in a cross shape. It was really interesting although there were a few things that seemed odd. Taylor and I took lots of pictures of the outside, although you had to get special permission for the inside but nobody was manning the station where you were supposed to get permission so we may have taken a few illegal pictures, however they didn't come out right so there aren't any pics of the interior.

After seeing the three main pieces of Southwell, we wandered around the streets a bit. It's quite a small town but is supposed to be really beautiful during the summer when all the flowers bloom and such. One mistake we made was sticking around past when the Minster school let out, so we were
Saracen's Head InnSaracen's Head InnSaracen's Head Inn

Charles I stayed here during the Civil War.
surrounded by school kids in uniform. It was alright, but kind of a pain. Oh well. They eventually dispersed and left on foot and numerous buses home. Our bus arrived and we headed back to Nottingham.

We got back pretty early, so we wandered through Victoria Centre for a few, hitting up Tesco for some groceries and then heading back home. All in all it was a productive and fun day, plus we got to experience yet another part of the county in which we've planted ourselves for the year. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Taylor and her carrotsTaylor and her carrots
Taylor and her carrots

It was soo cold outside that Taylor took to eating her carrots and consulting a map in the toilets.
Self PortraitSelf Portrait
Self Portrait

Taylor and I waiting for the bus in Southwell.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb