Day 17 - Greenhead to Once Brewed (7 miles) - Walking 'up and down' the fascinating and historic Hadrian's Wall...a short walk today.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland
May 13th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Malcolm (SteveWelcome to Malcolm (SteveWelcome to Malcolm (Steve

Steve promptly handed Malcolm the 'Hiking 429km the Long Way Up' t-shirt. Malcolm now feels part of the team!
Tuesday 13 May - Waking up today, we were filled with excitement at the prospect of seeing the famous and historic Hadrian's Wall - especially because it was another glorious day. Following breakfast, Malcolm's 'first' English breakfast, which we were sure would be one of many along the Pennine Way, we left Greenhead. The area is full of history and the first interesting site we approached on our walk was Thirwall Castle. The castle was built in the early 14th century as an impressive family stronghold and splendidly surmounts a green hill overlooking the tree-lined Tipait Burn. The setting of the castle was simply charming. Fascinatingly the thick walls are built from recycled Roman stone.

Our fascination and excitement quickened as we glimpsed our first sighting of the magnificent Hadrian's Wall - which was the most strongly defended frontier in the Roman Empire. As we followed the wall as it dipped and rose again and again, along beautiful green hills, Steve and Malcolm started to imagine themselves being Roman soldiers (luckily they didn't have the costumes, so they weren't able to bring this to life). We were all very impressed at how well preserved Hadrian's Wall was (even though it was clear that renovations had taken place). In Roman miles it is 80 miles long (73 English miles). The wall varies in height from 2 and half feet to 7 and half feet, but the original height was thought to be 15 feet! The width was between 6 and half feet to 10 feet thick. There are some very dramatic viewpoints from the wall all around.

It was exhilarating walking up, over and down, up over and down, up over and down for 5 miles along Hadrian's Wall and knowing that the Pennine Way continues along the wall the next day, we knew our exhilaration would probably continue. We popped into the Northumberland National Park Visitor Centre to find out more about the area - the centre was informative and used the opportunity to discuss with one of the employees from the Visitor Centre the reasons behind our Pennine Way fundraising hike for the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust.

After a good meal at the Twice Brewed Inn, we decided to enter the quiz night. We had been in second place at one stage, but somehow after performing not too well on the 'rock and roll' music round - in
Ruins of Thirwall Castle. Pennine Way, NorthumberlandRuins of Thirwall Castle. Pennine Way, NorthumberlandRuins of Thirwall Castle. Pennine Way, Northumberland

Thirlwall Castle dating back to the early 14th century, sits impressively on beautiful green hill.
that round we scored an embarrassing 7 out of 40 - we put it down to not being our era :-) So we effectively went from second place and came last! Nevertheless it was an entertaining evening and the landlord was a fantastic host!! With our tails between our legs, at losing the quiz night, we went to bed.

Only 65 miles to go!

If you would like to support our fundraising effort, please go to www.ectopic.org.uk/fundraising/?p=46. Thank you very much for your support and messages. Lavinia and Steve.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The Heat is On: Steve and Malcolm with the Burch thinking caps on in the Rock and Roll quiz round. The Twice Brewed Inn, NorthumberlandThe Heat is On: Steve and Malcolm with the Burch thinking caps on in the Rock and Roll quiz round. The Twice Brewed Inn, Northumberland
The Heat is On: Steve and Malcolm with the Burch thinking caps on in the Rock and Roll quiz round. The Twice Brewed Inn, Northumberland

Sadly we came last! After moving from second place, down to last place after scoring just 7 out of 40 in the rock and roll round...


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0874s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb