The Treasurer's House


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
September 28th 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House

dä blick vom Garte us
Today was a really normal day...it was boring and I think, we're a little bit sick and tired of the College. I cannot say why, but it is like it is.
The only thing was interessting on this day was the Treasurer's house.

Informations about this house

The Treasurer's House is a beautiful, historic building in the care of the National Trust.

Originally the home of the Minster's Treasurer, the Treasurer's House may be found behind the Chapter House on the north side of the cathedral.

From shortly after Norman Conquest until the Reformation, it was the treasurer who had the responsibility for the Minster's silver and the treasures. In addition, the treasurer also acted as host to Royal and ecclesiastical visitors.

Radulphus was the first treasuere and he received his appointment in 1091

However, the house did not escape the great fire of York in 1137 and was unfortunately burned down. It was rebuilt in the reign of Edward I.

Parts of this building can be found behind the Jacobean facade. Although the major part of the house was rebuilt in the 1600s, touring around the building one cannot help but feel that
@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House

dä blick vom Garte us
you are going on a journey through time, so many are the different architectural styles.

This historic confusion is exacerbated by the design of the interior, which shifts from elegant Georgian to opulent Victorian, and even to Roman design (the Roman influence is attributable to the fact that the house was actually built above Roman remains).

The protagonist of this innovative yet confusing architectural designt was Frank Green, who bought this house in 1897 after a period of neglect. He came from a family of industrialists and for three years, with his architect Temple Moore, carried out radical reconstruction work on the house.

For instance, in the Great Hall, he took away a complete floor that had been added in the 18th century, creating a new hall whose historic origins could be anything from medieval to Victorian.

The Tapesty Room is a pleasure to behold, its walls being adorned with 17th century Flemish tapestries, giving a powerful insight into the interior design of the early 1700s.

The fireplace is original and the floor-to-ceiling panelling was discovered beneath layers of wallpaper.

The fine Venetian chandelier over the staircase hall was installed in York Assembly rooms
@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House@Treasurer's House

Ä Notzis im Huus bevors zum Keller abegoht:)
in 1723 but discarded after gas oilers were introduced.

There is also a bedevilled nature to the house with several sightings of Roman soliders in the cellars...

The Roman soliders in the cellars

One morning in 1953 apprentice plumber Harry Martindale was installing a new central heating system in the cellars of the Treasurer's House in the shadow of the Minster.
Suddenly he heard the ghostly sound of a horn , which became gradually louder.
Then a great carthorse came throught the brick wall, ridden by a Roman soldier. He was followed by several more soldiers, dressed in green tunics and plumed helmet. It looked as thought hey were walking on theire knees - their lower legs and feets were nowhere to be seen. Then the curator were walking on an old Roman road, the Via Decumana, which had been burried 15 inches below the surface.
When a bewildered Harry scrambled upstairs to safety, the Trasurer's House visitors reportedly said to him, "You've seen the Roman soldiers, haven't you?" It seems the ghoulish visitors had been spotted on several previous occasions!

In my opinion, it was a great idea to go there and visit this house. The only problem we've had, it was not aloud to take pictures😞

On the way back to school, we had a problem. Christof had forgotten his busticket and so we all had to walk or all drive with the bus. So Marc and I had the best idea we've ever had.
So...we went into the bus, me first and I've shown my ticket to the busdriver and then showed Marc his ticket and in this time I gave my ticket to Christof and so we all drove with the bus.

Yeah...that's all for today and we have the half time of your stay this week.

See you!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb