York, England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
September 29th 2012
Published: October 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Heathrow around 7am and went to Kings Cross train station via the Picadilly line. Our train didn't leave until 10:30am so we had plenty of time waiting to leave for York. Kings Cross is where in the Harry Potter book they leave from a non-existant platform, they have a luggage cart for a photo-op that looks like it's disappearing into the wall.

We stayed in the Hazelwood B&B, just outside the Gilygate near York Minister. The city inside the old walls is easily walkable which is what we did for the next two days. We joined a "haunted" walking tour at night just as an excuse to stay awake to fix our jetlag.

We started day 2 walking the south end of the wall as we had walked the north (old Roman area) walls the previous day and ended at the York Castle musuem. After visiting the Yorkshire Museum (probably more interesting than the Castle Museum) we joined one of the free walking tours offered by the locals. We tried to get into York Minster but was closed for the day due to an event they were hosting a memorial service for the police and were not open to the public.

Day 3 after breakfast we arrived at York Minster for a visit, well worth it though I didn't have time to climb the tower as I would have had to go back into the ticket line which was now quite long. We waked back to the train station for our 2.5 hr trip to Edinburgh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb