Old York, not New York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

February 7th

At 9:55am me and my buddy Ian hopped on a train to York. The ride was very short (prob. 25 mins). The return ticket was expensive for the distance travelled. It cost 10.50 pounds which is about $15.25. However, the trip to York proved to be worth while.

Upon arrival, we exited the train station and immediately noticed the Walls of York. In fact, York has more miles of intact city walls than anywhere else in England, and some sections of the walls date back to Roman times. However, most date back to the 12 to 14th century. They added a unique feel to the city that most modern cities seem to lack. We walked along the wall to the river Duse, which ran straight through the center of town.

Next, we ran across st. helen's Abbey and its remnants. These ruins are truly spectacular and I cannot imagine how these massive works were constructed 500+ years ago...and they still stand. Then, there were some museums which we decided to skip as they did not seem too particularly interesting. Then, we stopped in the city and grabbed some delicious pastries (or pasties as the brits like to say). Next we hit a store to grab batteries for our cameras that just died (good timing, I know).

Then we walked down the street towards the York Minster. The most amazing piece of architecture I have ever seen!! Pics to prove my claim are provided. There were many tours available to purchase but we decided to scale the 275 steps to the pinnacle of the minster. And wow, it was a long way up. It was a winding staircase with steps about half the length of my foot. Reaching the top was quite exhilarating and tiring at the same time. No way the average old person would even want to try this!

After York Minster, we trekked down Shambles street (apparently the most photographed street in york) and bounced in and out of some interesting shops. Eventually we made it cross town to the site of the original castle and the remaining Clifford's Tower. Not too menacing, but I'm sure it served its purpose which was to protect the city from intruders.

Then we went inside this wierd museum that had random sixties stuff and things from englands civil war (called the castle museum).

Finally, we went to a National Railway museum that was good, but not overly impressive. This was oddly enough, adjacent to the train station, which we went to after the museum to make it back to lovely Leeds before night fall!

Peace Ya'll!

PS, we got lots of good pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Me at the AbbeyMe at the Abbey
Me at the Abbey

So you can judge the size


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb