Liverpool is too cool!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Liverpool
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 18 secs
Drive to LiverpoolDrive to LiverpoolDrive to Liverpool

Rolling Hills for miles
Trip to Liverpool

January 31st, 9am, Departure from University to Liverpool via Coach

The ride over was pleasant as the English countryside is absolutely amazing. Never have I ever seen 1.5 hours of green rolling hills dotted with cottages and lakes and yes....a nuclear power plant. The trip was organized by the International student office at a cost of 14 pounds.

At first I only new one girl, Chelsea from New Zealand, but quickly made friends with a couple chicks sitting in front of me...Britney and Kat from Canada (the US's retarded deaf step-brother of the North). Anyway, they were cool enough and after arriving at Liverpool we ventured off as a 4 person group. Obviously, me being the only male in the group, I was left in charge of the map and I must say, I expertly navigated us through the city.

First stop off the bus was the Albert Docks. Built in 1864 and served as a major port of England until 1972. It was pivotal in previous centuries because of massive amount of slave trade and European emigration to America. In the end, it was just a nice looking dock at the mouth of
Nuclear Power PlantNuclear Power PlantNuclear Power Plant

Beautiful isn't it
the mersey river. However, the dock now has a Maritime Museum, Slavery Museum, Beatles Museum, and Tate Liverpool (an art museum).

Of those options, we experienced the Beatles Story Museum. It ran through the formation and breakup of the Beatles as well as everything in between. Their music was played in various rooms and we took a ride in the yellow submarine. Saw the grave of Eleanor Rigby and so on and so on. The museum was too awesome to even try to describe, plus we had headsets telling us their story. I didn't realize how dorky the Beatles looked...losers with crappy bowl cut hair is you ask me. At least their music was good.

After the museum, the expedition went to Matthew st. Which is where the Beatles began their career. The pub was called the cavern and it has been reconditioned to look like it would have when they actually played there. Then we continued up the street to the World Museum Liverpool.

For all the museums acclaim, I was actually a little disappointed. It was 5 levels high with each level having a different theme (music/culture, dinosaurs, ancient civilization, fishies, and space). Overall, it
Albert DocksAlbert DocksAlbert Docks

...marks our arrival
was very kid themed and unimpressive, considering I like all the things named above.

After the museum, we trekked over to the Anglican Liverpool Cathedral. It was constructed for 74 years and was completed in 1978. It is the last of the great British Neo-Gothic structures. Also, it is Britain's largest cathedral and the 5th biggest in the world. Truly awe-inspiring (as the pictures will indicate, plus a video if it can get uploaded). Next, we picked went to our last stop, the Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King. It's construction was inspired by the Native American teepee. This cathedral was less impressive than the first, but was cool nonetheless.

Finally, the trip came to an end as the time approached 5pm. We hustled back to the coach and made our way back to Leeds by 7pm. Ohh yeah, we also walked through a pretty crappy Chinatown. It was a couple blocks long with nothing really in it. Overall, Liverpool trip was pretty awesome, due in large part to the Beatles Museum and the Anglican cathedral.

Check back soon for my next blog entry, which might cover well, who knows what?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Albert DocksAlbert Docks
Albert Docks

and the Mersey River
City ScapeCity Scape
City Scape

plus some construction
Uhhh...Uhhh...
Uhhh...

Read the sign
CasbahCasbah
Casbah

Birthplace of Beatles
Definition ofDefinition of
Definition of

...Beatlemania
BeatlemaniaBeatlemania
Beatlemania

in many languages
Yes, we doYes, we do
Yes, we do

love the beatles
There's thatThere's that
There's that

yellow submarine
Inside the ominousInside the ominous
Inside the ominous

Yellow Submarine


4th February 2009

What you took a picture of
that flying hand has to do something with the Magical Mystery Tour.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb