Our Thoughts on London so far...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
September 9th 2010
Published: September 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ben and I have had many surprises during our stay here in London, and we wanted to share some of our thoughts and observations with you all. So, here we go!

Similarities Between the US and UK


Michelle: In many ways, the US and the UK seem to be more similar than I thought. At least in the big city, there are advertisements at every bus station and subway station, but not as many posted on the actual buildings as I have seen in the US. It seems that a lot of the popular culture from America has trickled to the UK as well, seeing as they have many of the same things that are advertised. For example, the play "Wicked" and even a musical of "Legally Blonde" are currently in theatres here in London.

Another similarity is that there are many stores here that we have seen in the US. Examples of these would be Starbucks, McDonalds, Gap, Banana Republic, etc... I was a bit surprised by the Gap being here, but I guess I shouldn't have been. Otherwise, they also seem to have a lot of their own stores here, or other European-based stores.

Otherwise, it is very similar to a big city back in the US. Hardly anyone talks on public transportation, and everyone seems to have a place to go and doesn't really care if you are lost or not. The difference here is, that people don't walk as fast as Americans who are in a rush.

Benjamin: Similarities between the US and UK, eh? Well, they both have two letters. They both start with U. What else could you want? *scratches his head* Let me think.

There are definitely more similarities than I thought. I thought their slang phrases would be more different. For example, the P word Americans use to describe getting angry is supposedly the same word the British use for getting drunk. However, just today I heard exactly the opposite on two separate occasions. They also commonly say "cool" and "okay."

Really, if you think about all the details, the US and UK are probably 98%!t(MISSING)he same, but the 2%!t(MISSING)hat is different is so easily noticeable that it seems to be a whole new world. It is definitely a very easy foreign country to begin exploring. I suppose it is much like Canada would be, relatively. ...without all of the moose.

Advertisement



10th September 2010

Top upf!
10th September 2010

I love hearing about your adventures every day. Glad you ar enjoying yourself. How is work going Ben? Love you, Oma

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb