Kesteven


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lincolnshire
May 14th 2006
Published: May 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up early as usual, good breakfast, tent packed up and on my way by 730AM. Fairly grey skies with occasional showers. Drove along the estuary of the Nene which is attractively remote.

Drove west through southern Lincolnshire (knwon as Kesteven)- Sunday … so not a good day for visiting churches. Took various landscape photos and visited a number of nature reserves. Eventually met up with my old friend the A1 - cannot say that that road has improved. That took me to Woolsthorpe Manor which is the birthplace of Isaac Newton. The building itself dates from the early seventeenth century - very attractive in local stone with distinctive architectural features. Some interesting displays related to the work of Newton - and, yes - the apple tree is there. Well, actually son of apple tree because the original tree was knocked down in a storm some 200 years ago. We are reliably informed that although it fell it gave off new shoots to produce the present tree.

Arrived camp site about 6pm, set up tent and cooked my pasta meal.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb