A Step Back in Time.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire
June 14th 2009
Published: June 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We've just spent the day in Slaidburn, Lancashire today as Stan had heard there was a steam rally on. By the time we got there the village green was busy with loads of picnickers, eating their lunch and listening to the fair ground type organ playing away with old thyme music hall songs. We felt we'd taken a step back 80 years or maybe more.

The steam fair itself was a nice event several old traction engines and other kinds of machinery and many old cars and bikes plus a sheep sheering demonstration. A poor pig was roasting away on a spit. Again all around us we could hear the fair ground organs music, we were even blessed with a bit of good old fashioned hot sunny weather. ( A bit of a rarity in these modern times!)

To top it off as we were heading back to the car someone came along on a penny farthing bike that dated back to the 1800's. He parked it up at the village hall to grab some refreshments so we were able to see how he got back on it later to ride off. He told us that he had come
The village green, SlaidburnThe village green, SlaidburnThe village green, Slaidburn

Old time music could be heard from all around.
4 miles on it but it hadn't been easy as it's quite hilly round there, there are no gears for the uphill bits and no brakes for the down hill bits!!

Sunday 21st June Family reunion

This weekend we met Dave and Claire (from Australia) at the airport and whisked them off to Eyam in Derbyshire for a family reunion, where we were meeting up with Mum, Wendy , Alan and the girls.
The area is famous for it's numerous underground caverns so we spent Saturday underground in the Peak cavern and exploring the village of Castleton and Eyam. (and of course the local pub there!!)

On Sunday we went to see the well dressing at Tideswell before heading off for a picnic at Parsley Hay. The area has many cycle tracks so suitable for mum to join us on a walk. Before we all spit up we visited the stone circle at Arbour Low, as it was June 21st, the longest day and almost Midsummer's day, there were many 'colourful' characters there including a couple sat on a stone chanting 'ooommm'. I didn't think people really did that only on films!

Saturday 27th /Sunday 28th

We met up with the family again in Derbyshire before we brought Dave and Claire back to our house in readiness for their train to Scotland. After a day of putting the bikes together and shopping for essential supplies we spent Sunday beachcombing on Anglesey and walking the town walls of Conway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

What year is this?What year is this?
What year is this?

Riding along the village street, you could have been excused for thinking you were back in the 1800's(except of course for the bike helmet!)
Waddington.Waddington.
Waddington.

Another pretty village we stopped at on the way home
Natalie Helping to Make Rope Before the Tour Down into the Cavern BeganNatalie Helping to Make Rope Before the Tour Down into the Cavern Began
Natalie Helping to Make Rope Before the Tour Down into the Cavern Began

People used to live in the entrance of the cavern and made rope for a living
Family GatheringFamily Gathering
Family Gathering

The family met up together by the Lady Bower Resevoir in Derbyshire for a picnic together


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb