Touch down in the UK... Preston and surrounds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire » Preston
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived safely in Liverpool on the 29th March and Bernie picked us up on her way home from work in Chorley. We had time to take in the scenery as we drove the hour back to Preston. It’s an industrial looking city and a very new one so it doesn’t have the history and beautiful architecture of some of the other cities we have been too. It was great though to unpack at Bernie and Shaun’s flat where we have our own room and a bed to call our own for a while. After weeks of travelling it was quite a relief. Bern and Shaun were a fountain of information, sharing all of the tips and hints that they’d worked out over the past couple of years.

We have spent our time taking advantage of the internet, sorting out all the things that we’ve left on hold and working out our next steps. We’ve had a few day trips to the area around, including Lancaster which has a castle that’s a working prison and court. The tour was quite interesting, including a view of the “hanging” area. We’ve also been to Blackpool a couple of times which was
Classy BlackpoolClassy BlackpoolClassy Blackpool

Complete with Eiffel Tower replica and trashy amusement park
a bit different. Before it became cheap and easy to holiday overseas, Briton’s flocked in droves to tacky seaside resorts like Blackpool and you can see behind the weariness to former glory. Blackpool is an extravaganza of amusement parks, pubs and tourist shops and the largest mirror ball in the northern hemisphere...which means somewhere in the southern hemisphere there's a bigger one??

We’ve met some very cool people in Preston through Bernie and Shaun and were even invited to Stag and Hen’s do’s for their mates Jen and Arch. Mick and Shaun went with the lads for a day at the races which ended up in a late night at the pub and some impressive hangovers. Karen and Bernie went with the girls for a night out in Southport which is the classier version of Blackpool.

We’ve gotten into the English passion for sport and have seen the lively crowds in action at a Rugby League game between two of the heavyweights, Wigan and St Helens, as well as the holy grail of sport here, football (soccer) at a Preston North End game. Unfortunately, we seem to be bad luck charms for the home teams and both Wigan and Preston lost! The crowds are full on, everyone seems to know the songs and actions and they act as one! They also have to separate the home and away teams as people are so passionate about their team. After the PNE game we had a close brush with football fame as we went to a Mexican restaurant where the team, including England player David Nugent, were having a post match meal. We have a bit more of an appreciation of football being here and Preston is also the home of the National Football museum.

We've enjoyed our time in Lancashire and will miss the people, if not the place, in Preston!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Night out in PrestonNight out in Preston
Night out in Preston

Mick and Shaun were sure this was the guy from Temple of Doom. Luckily he was a good sport.
ChesterChester
Chester

A pretty city famous for being the home of trashy Brit soap Hollyoaks
Disco Anyone?Disco Anyone?
Disco Anyone?

This is the biggest disco ball in the northern hemisphere. I'm not sure what's more worrying, that I know this or that there must be a bigger one in the southern hemisphere


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb