Chartwell


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent
December 1st 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

In 1924, Sir Winston Churchill bought the mid Victorian property overlooking the Weald countryside in Kent and decided to use it as his family home. He employed the architect by the name of Philip Tilden. He transformed the dull Victorian house to the modern manor house enlarging the Dining Room, the Drawing Room, and Lady Churchill’s bedroom, all of which are facing to the garden. Sir Winston Churchill named the property as Chartwell. He adored the property, and enjoyed spending his time with his family between the 1920s and 1930s and the post war period to 1964.

The house possesses a number of furniture, porcelain, dinner sets and gramophone etc which were used by the Churchill family, treasures which were inherited from Sir and Lady Churchill’s ancestors, references which he used for his literary works, valuable gifts e.g. ornamental chicken made of crystal glass, Dresden porcelain with pictures of Napoleon and his soldiers, Nobel prize, and Order of the Red Banner of Labour, etc through his career in politics and literary works.

Sir Winston Churchill loved painting and there were dozens of oil and watercolour paintings and stationery set displayed in the studio. There are several watercolour paintings displayed in the hall in the house.

There are several different types of gardens which were designed by Lady Churchill and Victor Vincent. The highlights include hybrid tea roses at Lady Churchill Garden, mixed borders, kitchen garden, the golden rose walk, the pond and chair where Sir Churchill used to sit to feed fish at the late stage of his life, and Marlborough Pavilion with the viewpoint over the Weald countryside.

Likewise, you can do walks around the woodlands and lake, which is home to black swans and an abundance of wildlife.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb