Knole


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Sevenoaks
December 1st 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Set in a vast medieval deer park in Sevenoaks, north-west of Kent, Knole has had close links with kings, queens, and aristocrat families, as well as literary connections with Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf. The Sackville family still live in the house.

Nevertheless, the historical rooms and the part of the surroundings are managed by the National Trust, and visitors are able to look round the principal rooms, e.g. Dining Rooms, Bedrooms, Drawing Rooms, Halls, Staircases, Galleries, and Ball Room with portraits of residents and celebrities, furniture, porcelain, and cosmetic items used by the James I and the Elizabeth I, and Dutch tapestries, and the statue of the lady whom Gainsborough used as a model, to name just a few.

The highlight of the principal room is the King’s Bedroom which was newly designed for the James 1st. Due to the ongoing conservation and prevention works, the large glass case was placed in the room, and visitors are allowed to view silver bed, table, cutlery sets, cosmetic goods, and clothing items displayed inside of the glass case. Due to the spotlight effect, all of the items looking gold.

As for the literary associations, Knole is the birthplace for Vita Sackville-West. She and Virginia Woolf wrote novels based on the backgrounds of the Sackville family and the history of the house.

The medieval deer park is registered as the site of Special Scientific Interest, and it is home to over 100 deer including ones with big horns, as well as a number of ancient oaks and birches with fungi.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 21; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb