Weekend in Kent coming up


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone

We are currently in Kent having left London this morning none the wiser about the bomb threat. The biggest problem here is which pub to go to! The bomb threat was around the Haymarket area where we had been the afternoon before the bomb threat. No hint of of anything to come, just the usual London hustle, bustle and rain. Just shows you how things can change!!

The train trip was great, fast smooth and scenic. Now we have both been to Kent, ther birthplace of Sandy's Dad. The ntown is great, full of french school kids on excursion and the town is very historic. Looking forward to seeing Gavin & Helen tomorrow for more explorations.

England is still enduring the wettest weather you can imagine! Floods, tornadoes in fact everything you don't associate with the gentle rain in England! Still we are having showers without the buckets at our feet and nobody has to water their garden! And it's summer!

We were very busy in London! More trips to Brick Lane (Bangladesh food this time), Chinatown (to complete the Asian food Odessy).The National Gallery (loved the Vermheer and the early Christian stuff), The British Library, The Scotch Malt Whisky Society Rooms in London. On Monday night we went to see a play in the West End- Spamalot, a Monty Python inspired Search for the Holy Grail! We had good seats in the upper balcony and a great view. It was a fun night out!

The British Natural History Museum was great in 1980 and even better now. very up to date with interactive displays. I spent 3 hours there. The V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum, dealing with industry and social events) was interesting too with more interactive displays, a change from when we were there in the 90's.

My malt whisky experience was mixed. Stood up by one contact and treated very well by the other (John Glaser of Compass box).

The weirdest thing we saw in London was a man taking his ferret for a walk down the Clapham High Street. The ferret seemed to have a great time running under counters and boxes and no one batted an eye lid!

We had a fantastic time staying at Clapham with Floss. She is very centrally located, close to the tube and to the city. It was great to share someone's home rather than live at a hotel! Thanks for having us Floss! Now you can have your front room back and get your life back to normal.

pj n Sandy









Advertisement



29th June 2007

Rain
Well , at least it's summer over there ! Even if you were back home , you would have had the same weather , been raining cats and dogs here !

Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb