Canterbury to the West Country


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone

We've decided to stop talking about the weather (aka rain) because it never changes!!

Canterbury was a very interesting and picturesque town. We stayed at a hotel called Fusion in the Paris room. It's an old coaching inn that had been modernised with taste. You know those places with small crooked staircases, uneven walls and black wooden beams that tall people are guaranteed to hit there head on! We had a French themed room and the bathroom was superb. We seem to be having a run of great luck with bathrooms! This was more attractive than the last one....it had a claw foot bath just like you see in old French movies!

The town was full of narrow cobblestone streets, funny little crooked pubs and interesting shops. A most pleasant way to spend an afternoon wandering around. On saturday we went to the Cathedral which is awe inspiring. There was an ordination going on so we coudln't see certain parts, but wandered around until it all finished and were rewarded with beautiful choir and organ music. It was well worth the wait and a very impressive place. We still have a few English Catherdals to go and every one is different.

Later we went to a Saxon Camp where my niece is into re-enactments. They dress, eat, act all in 1007 style. All very authentic. They have built a huge long house and we saw a wedding and preparations for a battle. Its an interesting hobby and Stephanie really loves it. Two years ago she was ''married'' to a Viking leader in York Minster!

We set off for Ledbury (NEAR WALES) in the late afternoon and caught up with the traffic. Gavin has a GPS system in his car and the woman in his dashboard kept trying to send us to London!! His hybrid Electric/petrol Lexus was a good merans of travel.

Sunday had a great walk around the Old Vicarage garden, Owen's wood and then a 7 mile walk along the lanes, the fields being too wet and muddy. Needless to say, Sandy was a non starter!

As you know the bombings have gotten much worse over the last few days. People are very stoic about it all. They've been dealing with bombs since the 2nd world war and a few terrorists aren't going to stop them. It appears that the Glasgow bomb was an attempt to maximise carnage due to start of the school holidays. They're also warning Gordon Brown, the new Prime Minister that they're not giving up. Apart from massive traffic problems, the only impact on us will be extra secuirty at the airport. We're hoping this means that they'll put on extra staff at Heathrow!!! We fly out on Thursday morning.

Cheers

pj n Sandy




Advertisement



2nd July 2007

Be careful
Sounds like you're both having a fabulous time. Take care in London

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb