Rochester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Gillingham
December 31st 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well we have been here in Rochester for 3 days now, and it is quite a nice little town. We are staying at a lovely Guest house called Grayling Guest House on St Margarets Street, and just 2mins down the road from us is the Rochester Cathedral and Rochester Castle. We have been inside both and they were really cool. It's like going back in time, the medieval ages. The main street here is called Rochester High Street (most main streets are called that) and it has lots of little shops crafts, gifts, clothes, those wierd shops with dragon/wizards/crystals and stuff, little grocery stores, and lots of others. We walk down the shop every day. At night time the street looks really pretty with the Christmas lights still zig-zagging across the street. The street is cobble stoned, a few surrounding it are. The view from our window is of the River Medway area, and right across from us is the town of Strood.
The first morning that we woke up it was snowing!!! We looked out the window and it was like being in a movie, it was so cool. We went out walking and even though the streets were slushy with snow and my feet got saturated, the novelty of seeing actual snow still didn't wear off. We walked past a hilly park area and there were lots of kids tobogganing, Luke and I would have loved to join them, but we were preoccupied with searching for letting agency's. We found quite a few and have a few flats that we can inquire about. We still would ideally like to flat share, and there are only a few around, but only some of them accept couples so it will be very difficult to find a flat to share with people. There are a few one bedroom flats around though and within good distance of the train etc for Luke to catch the train to London when he gets a job.
We have decided to catch the train into London for New Years and then catch it back to Rochester at 1am in the morning so we don't have to pay for a hotel to stay in. It should be good, but it is going to be extremely packed with people and could get frustrating so I am hoping everything works out fine.
We have settled in quite well and every
Luke in SnowLuke in SnowLuke in Snow

I warned Luke not to ditch the snow ball at me or he would be ass up himself!!
day walk around the area (we should lose some weight soon as we seem to walk around for most the daylight hours of the day!!!) until it gets dark at around 4pm. Every night I get confused as to what the time is. I keep thinking it is later than what it actually is, and then we usually end up going to bed early cos there is nothing much else to do except watch tv (last night we watched neighbours: Sarah it was the episode where Stingray gets kidnapped by Roo and Harold and David walk in on Skye painting Dylan nude in teh coffee shop!!).
Anyway, we have experienced the pommy supermarkets (Morrisons and Tescos) and they just don't add up to the ones at home. Not a lot of fresh baked goods, although we didn't get a good look around cos Luke didn't want to look at anything for too long except for the booze.
Alright, well not much else to tell except we are hoping to find our own place soon, I start my job in 3 days and hopefully Luke can find a job too. Only then I think we will truly feel more settled in
St Margaret StreetSt Margaret StreetSt Margaret Street

This is the street our guest house is on!
to the place. Everything is still kind of like a holiday at the moment.
Love you all and miss you heaps!!! Keep sending the emails and keep me up to date with any new news!!
Lots of Love
Renee


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rochester CathedralRochester Cathedral
Rochester Cathedral

We took this picture from inside the Castle!!!
Me on the bridge to StroodMe on the bridge to Strood
Me on the bridge to Strood

Yes! It's a castle!


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb