I see France! ... just...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Dover
April 30th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday StrollSunday StrollSunday Stroll

Chris passing the fields of rapeseed flowers
Our little car got us to Dover in about and hour and a half which made 'The White Cliffs of Dover' an easy day trip.

Dover itself was pretty unimpressive - a port town, sort of like Greymouth (please don't shoot me!) so we didn't stick about.

The White Cliffs were great. As you can see from the photos - exactly as name suggests. Big and White.

We got away fairly early (to beat the hoards of day-trippers wobbling along the cliffs in high heels and fancy clothes - scary!) to make the walk to the lighthouse. The walk was only two miles and very gentle. Providing you don't go too close to the edge! Amazingly enough there are hardly fences or 'Beware of the HUGE, KILLER cliff, like RIGHT THERE' signs. Chris got angry with me for "going too bloody close" which was surprising - I thought he liked heights!

The lighthouse was really interesting, especially seeing the charts of all the recorded shipwrecks along this part of the coast. There are huge sandbanks out there which have claimed thousands of victims in the past centuries.

Stopping for lunch at a pub in a place
Dover cliffsDover cliffsDover cliffs

Just 'slighty' higher than the ones on the North Shore..
called Deal (that's the name of the town, not the pub) we joined half of England by buying an ice cream and setting out for the beach. Absolutely hilarious. People-watching at it's finest. And as for the beach? Well, once again - enough said. Check out the photo!

On-route back to Richmond, we stopped at Emments Garden in Kent. Emments is surrounded by beautiful English country-side and was a good place to walk through the bluebell grove and have a quick nap in the sun before heading back home.

Next week week we are off to Cornwall for the long weekend - hopefully walking a bit more of the Coastal Path and eating more good food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ShipwreckShipwreck
Shipwreck

One of thousands of ships that have been wrecked along this coastline.
Spring blossomsSpring blossoms
Spring blossoms

Emmetts Garden in Kent.
On the edgeOn the edge
On the edge

Chris on top of the White Cliffs of Dover
Sunday Stroll 2Sunday Stroll 2
Sunday Stroll 2

Anna passing the fields of rapeseed flowers
There must be some mistake...There must be some mistake...
There must be some mistake...

... I was looking for the BEACH !
White Cliffs of DoverWhite Cliffs of Dover
White Cliffs of Dover

Yep, they're big and white..
Get back hereGet back here
Get back here

Looking towards the port of Dover. France must be somewhere in the distance.
Bluebells!Bluebells!
Bluebells!

Spring bluebell display at Emmetts Garden in Kent.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb