Practice trip and tracker page


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Watford
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Just back from a 2 day practice trip to Hampshire. The plan was to ride to down to the A30 and ride as long as we could along it towards Winchester before lack of daylight stopped us. We ended up starting late so only managed to get to just past Basingstoke where we decided to find a nice field (5 mins from Sainsburys of course) to camp in.

We managed to cook our first meal (pasta + sauce) on the new stove which seems to work pretty well, only problem was convincing the petrol station staff that it was safe to fill our fuel bottle from their pumps. Lesson learnt: don't ask the staff before you do it, fill it up and then give them the money with an innocent smile. Hopefully we won't have problems in South America with this as they tend to be on the laid back side.

So..we managed 50 miles in around 4 hours in the first day, not as much as we were expecting but the weight of the gear makes it a completely different ride.

After a chilly nights sleep (interrupted by a few dog walkers) we got on the road
Windsor CastleWindsor CastleWindsor Castle

Stopped for lunch at Windsor or the way back
to head home. After a "minor" detour through the dual carridgeways of Basingstoke we arrived home 60 miles later (detour + slightly different route made the extra) in about 4 hours 40 mins. So overall not a blistering pace but as it's the first fully loaded ride we've done, it can only get better.

I've also set up the location tracker page now so you will be able to see where i am when i send ok messages back to the UK (should be every evening). It's really accurate so you can see the exact part of the field we camped in last night!

The page is at:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0M4qLkhrXqYTN8BVnhs6dR3qceL7vieuM

It starts off very zoomed in so may appear like a blank map at first if there's no road or anything on it so zoom out or change to satellite view to make it clearer.


Next stop Ushuaia!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb