Packing


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Watford
February 13th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bike packaged upBike packaged upBike packaged up

May have gone a tad overboard with the polystyrene...
Tomorrow is the big day when we'll be saying goodbye to the UK and starting our journey to Ushuaia. After a last minute trip to Cyclepedia for some spare parts and a box to put the bike in the kit is packed and pretty much ready to go. I'm storing my kit in 4 panniers (2 front + 2 back) and a handlebar bag plus a dry bag for food which will be strapped onto the rear rack. All in all the gear weights about 20kg, not including food and water, distributed as 8kg in the front and 12kg on the rear. The bike weights just over 15kg including the racks so some excess baggage will be on the cards, i just hope it's not too expensive!

I have to say i'm not looking forward to the flight out there and the logistics of getting around 35kgs of kit flown across the Atlantic, i'll be happy once we've arrived in Ushuaia with everything in one piece! The flight out is in three stages; Heathrow to Paris, Paris to Buenos Aires and finally Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. Just to make it even more fun the third flight is from a different airport to the second and across the other side of the city!

We've booked beds in the Antarctica hostel (http://www.antarcticahostel.com/) for the night we arrive in Ushuaia so we won't have to worry about finding somewhere to stay after the long flight (we arrive about 7:30pm local time on the 15th). Just over a tenner each including breakfast and free internet so not too shabby considering it's one of the most touristy spots in the area! I'm hoping the GPS tracker will have signal that far south so the tracker page should be updated on arrival in case you were wondering exactly where Ushuaia is.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb