On to Wye Valley


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Herefordshire
May 9th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We really enjoyed just driving the back road of Herefordshire. We could see bright yellow fields in the distance, I assumed mustard. Curiosity finally got to us, so we asked. It is Rapeseed (mustard or cabbage family) is grown for the production of animal feeds, edible vegetable oils, and biodiesel.

Stopped to walk Hay-on-Wye which has become world famous for its secondhand and antiquarian bookshops. Hay Castle has been turned into cafe/shop. Strolled around St. Mary the Virgin Church.

The trail access to the cliff top at Symonds Yat Rock provides picturesque views of the Wye River and a good vantage point for its Iron age inhabitants, who built a fort here 2,500 years ago. It also provides viewing for a birds of prey exhibit.

Got to YHA late in the day and pretty sketchy drive down to the hostel. The main building was full of kids, so we were assigned the room in the annex. Pretty interestin facility right on the river. Burned out church that apparently is now privately own, with rumors of renovation funds trying to be raised.

YHA Wye Valley http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/wye-valley?utm_source=google&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=google-places


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb