Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
May 10th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tintern Abbey was the highlight of my day. This remains of a massive abbey, was as moving for me as any of the cathedrals I have visited. A back story for me was all the white pigeons. Some of you may know I raised pigeon as a kid. White does not last long in the will, as it is genetically recessive. Then as I read the various plaques around the site. The Cistercians arrived in Wales in 1131 and founded Tintern Abbey. It was from their custom of wearing undyed habits that the Cistercians became known as the White Monks’

Bath is a major city for tourism, with many attractions which are perfect for a weekend of sight-seeing. Our YHA Hostel is an Italiante mansionboasting its own stunning architecture. It is very conveniently located for easy bus and walking access. Bath has more museums in one square mile than most other cities in the world can boast. Walk between a whopping seventeen sites of historic interest in the city centre. Highlights include the museum at No.1, in the ginormous Georgian Royal Crescent, the Holburne Museum and the Jane Austen Centre.

As my common

Roman baths - The Roman Baths complex is a site of historical interest in the English city of Bath. The house is a well-preserved Roman site for public bathing.The Roman Baths themselves are below the modern street level. There are four main features: the Sacred Spring, the Roman Temple, the Roman Bath House and the Museum holding finds from Roman Bath. The buildings above street level date from the 19th century - Wiki.

Always on the lookout for a garden, we caught a bus to Prior Park. The mid-1700's Prior Park is the restored estate of Ralph Allen. He made his fortune in reorganizing the postal system and investing in the honey colored stone quarries used for the construction around Bath. Interestingly, Bath has been able to get new construction to use the same stone. And is/has designated modern buildings be torn down to be replaced with a more historical reference.

Another nice hike around Bath is to walk along the canals. Canal boats are moored all along the city canals. I took a picture of one of the vendors for future reference.

Somewhere along the way, Phil took notice of a nighttime "Bizarre" Comedy Walk. It was bizarre- "ignoring the historical, to bring you the hysterical." They emphasized nothing that we heard should be repeated as any resemblence of fact...it was a fun city tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb