It's getting colder!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire
January 21st 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a restful start to our visit here, but the past few days have been getting busy again.

So what have we been doing since I last wrote... The Saints game was good, even if we could only manage a 0-0 draw. We won yesterday though, and are still fighting for promotion. We had a lovely meal out for Mum and Dads birthday last Saturday night. We went to a local pub/restaurant and had some good food and local ale. Smoking is still allowed inside pubs here!

The beginning of the week we just relaxed, our first real break since before Christmas, what with working nearly all the time and with 8 busy days getting to the UK, we were pretty tired! We got ourselves a hire car and pottered about the local area, had lunch with Gran, walked my parents dog, watched some movies...

Yesterday we went to Bovington Army Camp and the Tank Museum. They had heaps of tanks, right from early prototypes through to ones being used now. Pretty interesting really. In the evening we met up with Colins brother and cousin for another pub meal.

Today the two of us braved the cold ( a few days ago it was a balmy 12C, now we're lucky to get much above 6-7C) and went to Dorchester. There are a few small museums there was wanted to see, and they were small. Fascinating though. We went round a Terracotta Warriors museum, and two Egyptian museums, one about Tutankhamun and one on mummies in general. We've not seen the Terracotta Warriors (another trip still to come, keep watching this space!!) but have been round Egypt. The Egyptian museums were good, but nothing beats the real thing. And Egypt was way hotter too. Still, for those unable to get to Egypt, the museums show and tell you a lot. After that we braved the cold even further and walked around Maiden Castle, Britains oldest, best preserved Iron Age Fort. The sign said the site was first inhabited 6000 years ago. The wind must have brought the temps close to freezing.

Tomorrow we are off to Cheltenham to see a friend from our Africa trip, looking forward to that. Then its off to catch up with an old school friend, another Africa trip friend, and my cousin. We are doing a few touristy things along the way, and of course a few VW parts places to stock up on goodies (and necessities) for the kombi and squareback. If it snows, we'll be sure to take a picture and post it here!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb