Blackpool and Yorkshire (Not in the same underpants)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
September 12th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wharf Wharf Wharf

Cold and grey... and loving it
Well for our latest entry we’ve decided to cover two trips we’ve undertaken in the last couple of weeks - firstly to the seaside town of Blackpool, and secondly to the area known as Yorkshire. And they couldn’t have been further apart.

Blackpool is a small city which once upon a time might have relied upon the fishing industry, but has now been turned into a large scale amusement park to haul in the tourists. Rollercoaster’s and ferris wheels dominate the shore line with lights, stuffed animals, slot machines and carnies to match. The atmosphere is something of a 24 hour carnival, with masses of tourists and bucks parties soaking it all up. The food was something to remember as well - we had some pretty gritty fish and chips, complete with mushy peas and heaps of gravy. There was no room for the health conscious here - deep fried mars bars complimented the members of the battered food group.

The location of this fun fair town is of course on the North West coast of England, above Southport and Liverpool - not known for its great weather, it didn’t disappoint. It was an incredibly bleak day with a
Turtle PowerTurtle PowerTurtle Power

At Madam Taussaud's in Blackpool
howling wind whipping up waves onto the piers. Now I know this whole lot combined might sound tacky, ugly and uncomfortable, but we enjoyed it quite a lot; It seems to be wrong on so many levels, but it’s a cultural experience and if you just let yourself enjoy the rides and the atmosphere (and even the food) it’s a great day out. Combined with the bleak weather and the slightly-dated amusements, it is like nothing else. So much so that we are looking to go back during winter, when the main boulevard is lit up like a Christmas tree with thousands of lights.

The other day out was for a bike ride through the Yorkshire area, near the town of Bolton. We started in a small village, and worked our way through farm tracks, a forest and even smaller and quainter villages to the Bolton Abbey, ruins of an old church situated on the banks of a river. This was classic British country side, with rolling green hills and stone buildings. Plenty of locals were out picnicking on the river flats and enjoying the surroundings - a rock path over the river provided much entertainment. There was a local produce shop in the town, selling Yorkshire tea and local cheeses - a few of which we took home to sample.

So there you have two places which were completely different, and I guess that’s what we’ve found here; that for such a small country there is quite a marked contrast in culture and environment over distances to use that seem like going from Sale to Bairnsdale (and there isn’t much cultural difference there either)

Anyway cheerio, see you all in 3 weeks!!!!

Ben and Stace and Cherryl


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

North PierNorth Pier
North Pier

Plenty of 20p machines kept us happy almost giving up the stuffed animal held aloft by the claw.
Half timeHalf time
Half time

We listened to this guy singing backed up by a tape... the old ladies were diggin' it.
River with rocks (Yorkshire now)River with rocks (Yorkshire now)
River with rocks (Yorkshire now)

Near the Bolton abbey. Not quite sure what the river was called, but the rocks and the water falling near by made it very peacefull.
Hittin the HillsHittin the Hills
Hittin the Hills

With Stacey whistfully looking.
Valley on rideValley on ride
Valley on ride

Great views over valleys and small villages


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb