Manchester: Football, Apples and the Al Shifi Kebab House


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
August 12th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The table that Ben builtThe table that Ben builtThe table that Ben built

With materials from the shed (In Backgroud) and the One Pound shop.
Hey guys,

Well here is another entry, only this time we just wanted to write about how things are here instead of another write-up of our weekenders.

Well our housemates have been great, we have really gotten to know them over the last couple of months - it’s a small place so it has been great that is has worked out. There are the usual little problems that come with living in a share house (old white goods, loud neighbours and the occasional rat), but for the most part is has been fun. One of the couples are moving out soon and are heading back to Poland to get married, before coming back to setup a Specialty Food Store in Ashton, which is just outside of Manchester. They are having a parapet-party when they get back for their new flat (A house warming party to you and I)..

With the weather being not too bad lately (although the rain has started to come back) we have been spending the long afternoons in the garden. We have an apple tree which is just starting to ripen, and we have planted some salad which is also starting to come through.
Ben, Ariel and their produceBen, Ariel and their produceBen, Ariel and their produce

Not sure if they are weeds or salad, but they taste nice
With some bits of wood in the shed we have made a small cupboard for Stacey, and there are some old wooden chairs which we are cleaning up and re-covering.

We’ve also been taking advantage of the local park on the good weather days. Ben and Ariel went down and had a game of soccer with the local street rats, but came back unsuccessful - 4 - 5. They were only about 10 or 11, but their years of experience and their tricky “step-around-the-ball” technique was working well. Ben tried the “moving-his-hands across-his-knees-while-moving them-side-to-side” technique but it didn’t put them off. And it was three of them onto two of us. But who’s counting anyway.

Our jobs are going well, and we’ve been getting to know the people at work on the side. There have been a few nights out on the town, for the odd birthday or a departure from the company - and it’s not hard to find somewhere to go out. There are clubs and pubs everywhere, each offering a happy hour promotion and an ultra-modern name, or ye olde englishe pub atmosphere and sticky carpet.

The area we live hasn't too bad so
Manchester LibraryManchester LibraryManchester Library

Handy for free internet access (when the computer at home isn't working)
far; We live near a major road, which is packed full of kebab houses and international food stores. After a few hits and misses, we found a great one called The Al Shifi Kebab house, which was a step above the Burning Balti - we were feeling pretty ill after that outing.

Anyway hope you're all well,

Ben and Stacey



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sheepy SheepSheepy Sheep
Sheepy Sheep

From our trip to Edale.
Piccadilly CircusPiccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus

Fountains, the tram stop and many weird characters live here.


17th August 2006

luv the welsh pic.
thanks guys for the great present it survived the trip intacto i showed the girls when we got together,barb kim and the wandering minstrel kristy garden looks good
18th August 2006

Shave the Beard! Do it!
20th August 2006

Leave the beard
Hi you two, great latest edition, library looks fantastic, obviously no shearers available. Love mum and dad
28th August 2006

You've become Poms
Hi guys, looks like you have settled in really well...wish the National Library looked like that. Loving the pics of the country, its amazing, just leave the local fleecy population alone:) Love Al

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb