Our first Few Days


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
October 27th 2011
Published: October 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oliver In Manchester Art GalleryOliver In Manchester Art GalleryOliver In Manchester Art Gallery

Oliver loved this picture
We are finally in the UK. The trip over was painless. I must say the A380 and Emirates did make it easier. We had a lovely 24hrs in Sydney with Shane, Clare and the girls. We had the morning on South Cronulla beach. Had forgotten how busy Sydney beaches get especially on a beautiful Sydney spring day. The first flight to Dubai started with excitement and the kids all got into the movies. Oliver slept for ages which did make for a very easy trip. Did get a bit worried when Jo ‘complained’ that she was uncomfortable 3 hrs into the trip but she did settle and found her later cuddled up on Oliver’s lap! We only had about 2 hrs in Dubai, enough for a coffee and toilet stop. We had been warned that we would need to change terminals by bus but had no issues, just wandered between the gates.

We got here Monday lunchtime. The difference between Dubai airport and Manchester was like Sydney and Hobart! We are so happy we had arranged a pick up. Seeing our name on the little white board held by the driver was a welcoming site. The hotel, Travelodge Central, is
Dolls House Manchester Art GalleryDolls House Manchester Art GalleryDolls House Manchester Art Gallery

Oliver was fascinated with the collection of dolls houses and the furnishings
basic but you do get what you pay for. Can’t let the kids get used to any luxuries this early into the trip. Oliver was so tired that he fell asleep while walking around town and had to be carried back to the hotel.

As budget as the Hotel was, we can't complain too much. The breakfast on offer was all-you-can-eat including cereals, fruits, juices, and your typical hot english breakfast offerings. Plentiful to fuel our days of wonder. The rooms were basic limited to a kettle, which we fully utilised for one of our evening meals - minute noodles and cup-a-soups from the local Tesco Metro. There was a partially staffed bar in the hotel which also offerred good-value pizzas along with nice english ales - this covered another two nights of dining.

Manchester is a pleasant surprise. We have been told all sorts of stories and asked many times why we would want to come here but as a first stop it has been perfect. The shopping district is great and there has been many moments we have all just drooled over the clothes, the variety and the price.

Ian and I have both been out to see Hamish. He seems to have had a great time with his soccer team. An experience he will not forget I am sure. He is staying about 15 mins outside Manchester in a hotel looking over Old Trafford, The Manchester United ground. Has had played a few games been to an EPL match and seen how and where some the best in the game play and train. His trip so far has been without issue bar the loss of one phone and the international SIM card with it…..so those who have our phone numbers use the one ending in 5.

Manchester has a lack of street signs which lead to the first of many lost moments on the trip. I took the girls and Oliver for a walk on the first day armed with a map provided by the hotel and a lack of direction. The map may as well have been for Calcutta, it was WRONG. Anyway our wanders did allow us to bump into many varied statues, old buildings and The Manchester City Art Gallery. Nice find as the kids loved the art works and the kids play area was a nice break for me!

The next day we headed over to the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI). Great set up and by chance we coincided with science week so they had lots of other hands on activities run by the Uni students. While there we went to the 4D movie and simulator ride. We all enjoyed the movie which incorporated movement, water spray, bubbles, wind and an odd electrical prickle sensation to enhance the experience. The feeling of crabs crawling up your legs had us all twitching. The simulator ride was ‘awesome’, ‘wicked’ and ‘sick’. It simulated a flight in a new military fighter jet with rolls and flips. Oliver thought all his dreams had been realised.

Next we head into the wilds of the Scottish highlands to really see what a true scot wears under his kilt.

Alex


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb