New home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
December 2nd 2007
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well how’s life in wall-to-wall Labor land? I did have a little party on my own last Saturday after watching the ABCs election coverage online and had an extra beer when I realised Johnny would also lose his seat (*grin*) - sorry to any liberal supporters (not that there were many this election!).

I’ve now settled into my new home and am rather happy with the move despite struggling moving all my stuff on my own and on foot (I can’t believe how much junk I’ve accumulated in 6 months).

There are some pics of my new place, the apartment is on the 6th floor in complex that is about 200m from the coach station for trips to London and 300m from the main Piccadilly rail station, the same distance from the city centre shops and almost as close to the Northern Quarter with its alternative, Fremantle-esque bars and shops. So the location is pretty awesome.

The place is also very nice, I’m sharing with a girl who studies and works in post production. So far we’re getting along well. I’m getting the larger of the two rooms which means I also have the ensuite bathroom - sure its costing me more but it’s a nice luxury to have.

Laura has great taste in movies, I’m sitting on the couch enviously checking out her DVD collection and deciding which one to watch first. Laura is also a huge fan of one of my fav bands, Radiohead, and has a promo screen print from the band’s album Amnesiac hanging up in the lounge room - definitely feel right at home.

Still need to organize a few bits and pieces, I’m no longer able to leach my internet access so need to look at getting a proper internet account. Might get cable tee vee at the same time as I’ll be spending more nights indoors as the weather continues to decline into the cold, wet and miserable winter we all associate with the UK.

Tonight sees the end of my rather crazy month of gigs. December will still be pretty hectic with Christmas parties, trip to Faro and to Copenhagen plus 4 or 5 gigs but I’ll also get quite a few nights off to relax which makes a nice change.

So a run down on my gigs over the past fortnight:

*Josh Ritter - fantastic singer songwriter, sounded amazing and put on a really fun gig
*The New Pornographers - a name that doesn’t really suit the band, mostly power pop rock, a decent gig but I’m not a huge fan and they didn’t win me over
*Caribou - sample heavy electro music meets intense rock, so yeah awesome!
*Patrick Wolf - at the lovely Lowry theatre, classy sit down gig and Patrick was brilliant
*Jay Brannan - singer songwriter and actor from New York, small gig but the crowd went crazy for him
*Jens Lekman - another awesome Swedish act, Jens was truly amazing. Scaringly the gig was at the Salford Trinity Chuch - no I didn’t melt but it was strange to be in a church, Jens played in front of the alter (?) almost like he was preaching to us …
*Interpol - one of my fav bands of the past 5 or so years, seen them once before in Perth and the other time in Sydney For those that went to my place in Hay St, Interpol are the band that feature on the posters above my couch This time it was a mad trip to Blackpool but the band were that good that travel hassles were forgotten
*Efterklang - Danish octet that put on one of the best gigs of the year

The Jay Brannan gig saw me travel to London for the day. Went to Harrods for a looksee and also to pic up some Turkish Delight for one of the lady’s at work (apparently it’s the best TD around). Harrods was fun of course, I didn’t spend too long as I came straight from the bus from Manchester and was lugging around all my crap. But the brief walk through the jewellery rooms and then the food halls (like DJ’s but 10 times bigger and better) was amazing - managed to pick myself up a too die for muffin (sure it cost two quid but it was worth it).

So no gigs this week, Friday night I will be having a Christmas dinner with my workmates (same night as the Mallies Xmas party I’m guessing - hope you all have fun, wish I could be there to celebrate with you all! At least there will be no photos of me drunk and/or dancing like a maniac!!!).

New address (edit):
Flat 56, Sackville Place
Bombay Street
MANCHESTER UK
M1 7AT


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



7th December 2007

Happy new home!
Hi Pedro - Happy new home. Your new place looks amazing, so does its position. Similar to your place in King St. Sounds like you've been having a fantastic time. Thanks for the updates. Love reading them. Take care of you.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb