Blackwell's, Blenheim and Buckingham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 14th 2004
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.4969, -0.144464

Our poor hostess had overslept (her clock was off by an hour). So after having a lovely chat with the other guests (2 Australian ladies and a Birmingham lady), we headed back into town for some sightseeing. Only trouble was, it was Sunday, and most things weren't open until 1:00. Since we didn't have that much time to spare, and didn't have a guide as to what all the interesting buildings were that we were ambling by, we decided to cut our losses and head out. I popped back into <a href="http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk">Blackwell's</a> for a quick souvenir while the others went to have a spot of tea.

We then drove to <a href="http://www.blenheimpalace.com/">Blenheim Palace</a>, which was really spectacular. Beautiful estate, home to the current Duke of Marlborough. The gardens were lovely (although I think we were there just a couple of weeks too early for the really spectacular display) and the guided tour was interesting.

Back on the road, and into London. We checked into the <a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d218409-Reviews-Thistle_Victoria-London_England.html">Thistle Victoria</a> and I returned the car (a happy thing, as I thought I was just parking the car for the night). We had dinner at Garfunkel's, then strolled over to Buckingham Palace. Very pretty at night, if a bit hard to photograph. Sara & I had a pint at Shakespeare's, then another in the hotel bar, before turning in.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb