"Tag a drag on the spliff of life....man"


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 29th 2014
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.373, 4.88312

Update: Burp!! What a fantastic meal last night! The Deer and Tiger Indonesian Restaurant is the best. No mucking around here.....we headed for the top of the range all inclusive blow out multi platter comprising of about 14 dishes. Lamb curry, egg do dah, prawn satay, fish curry, chicken fritters to name but few all washed down with a glass of local beer.

The downside of this indulgence being a restless night swigging water to counteract the shrimp chilli sauce!

Mission: Up a little later than normal but full of enthusiasm. Today we will cover the whole of Amsterdam City Centre and soak up as much as the tour guide can offer. Despite last nights vast repast we manage a light breakfast.....

Feet: Slightly puffy but still working.

Clothing faux pas! Cathy spotted I has been wearing the same sweatshirt for the last three days on the trot! Time to change me thinks!

Amsterdam City is so laid back that it spends most of the day horizontal. Everyone is "Cool Man". Grannies in leather trousers strut around on leopard skin heels accompanied by old blokes with pig tails smoking strange smelling cheroots. In the same street, students full of peace and love sit with glazed smiles puffing weed in the "Coffee" shops. Others who have partaken of too much "blow" lie prostrate "bonged out" by the canal edge. Stag parties from the UK who have flown out on Ryan Air and Easy Jet swig lager dressed as clowns and leer their way around the red light district goading each other to venture into the peep shows whilst hard faced women sit behind red curtains pedalling their services.

However, don't be fooled by this Hippie veneer, Amsterdam is a seriously sophisticated 21st Century City with savvy entrepreneurs and a purpose. Every tree lined canal exudes money and discrete wealth. The Red Light area and party goers are carefully confined to just a small area and rest of the City is a delightful mix of ancient and modern. I cannot think of a more enjoyable City in Western Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb