To London we go


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
January 14th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

We had the last of our English breakfasts, packed the final things in our suitcases and left the Stone Villa Guest Home in a taxi for the short 5 minute drive to the train station. Lorraine and Sheila were catching an earlier train to Liverpool then onto Carlisle and as we were about 2 hours before we were to leave, Clint sat with the bags and I took the girls for a walk on the Chester wall down to the River Dee, still the sun was shining but still cool. We walked back via the main streets into the Cathedral then to Gregg's bakery for some food for the train.
The train arrived on time, very nice and very comfortable with a table for our 2 hour journey and we were headed to London Euston Station. I had time on this journey to catch up with the writing on our Travelpod, it takes time to do these entries but it will let us have loads of memories on what and when we did things. We had such a pleasant journey from Chester to London on this train, lots of canals along the way, beautiful scenery and very green.
We left our bags at the overley priced luggage area in the train station so we could go and see the last few sights in London before heading to the airport. We caught the underground to Leicester Square, walked to Convent Gardens then through Piccadilly Circus to Oxford street. The girls had used all their UK money so weren't interested in any shops so we caught a red double decker bus all the way down Oxford street to Marble Arch, got the underground back to Euston Station to collect our bags then walked to Kings Cross station dragging all our luggage behind us. We needed this station because it had a lift to get straight to the platform instead of having difficulty getting all our bags down the stairs for the train to Heathrow terminal 3.
We had some dinner, then sat around till our plane was ready for boarding at 8.45pm. Settled back in our cramped seats for an 11.5 hour journey to Hong Kong. This trip didn't seem as long, maybe as we were all so tired and we must have slept!
We arrived in Hong Kong and took another train from the airport to Kowloon and from there a bus took us to our Hotel. After a quick change, we decided to "hit the shops " for some night time bargains!
Since the 25th Dec, we have avoided all of the bad weather, the storms in the UK, the snow in Norway and Chester and Edinburgh, to have so much sunshine, although we have had some chilly days. Europe weather has been great to us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Leaving Chester for London on train Leaving Chester for London on train
Leaving Chester for London on train

Farewell to Chester and Lorraine


16th January 2014

Enjoyed all the photos etc.You are on the homeward run - the cases must nearly be overloaded.Don't forget to book the extra plane for the luggage!
18th January 2014

Great to see a family photo. So many bags. Hopefully Loraine is bringing them back for you.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb