TEMPLES OF BAGAN


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 7th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 21.3667, 95.4667

In Bagan, located on the Irrawaddy River, we spent the day exploring some of the world's greatest archaeological sites. The plains of Bagan are home to a prolific collection of ancient Buddhist temples, pagodas, stupas and shrines, with many dating from the 11th and 12th centuries. More than 2,000 structures and ruins sprawl over a vast area stretching for miles along the banks of the river, a testament to Bagan's former status as the capital of a large and powerful medieval kingdom.

The glimmering domes and spires, now derelict and many damaged by the 9.0 earthquake in 1975, are especially captivating at sunset, illumined by the glowing rays. We had a picnic in the scenic agricultural village of Minnanthu, which specializes in the production of sesame and peanut oil. It is a hidden treasure in the Bagan area, as its collection of forgotten temples is often completely deserted.

Late this afternoon we visited a nearby pagoda to admire the setting sun over the temple spires.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



8th February 2016

Hey look, my penis is a foot long... oh, oh.....

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb