BAGAN / YANGON


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Atlantis
February 8th 2016
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.7837, 96.1568

We watched the sunrise from atop one of the ancient temples in Bagan.

We returned to the hotel for breakfast and to check in on the Super Bowl. (Being 11.5 hours ahead of the the US east coast, the game was played around 7:00 AM on Monday in Myanmar.) It surprisingly was not televised, nor did anyone there seem to know anything about it. We got enough of an internet signal to catch the score at the end of the game at the Bagan airport, and then caught our flight back to Yangon.

After a lunch of Burmese specialties, we spent the afternoon discovering highlights of Myanmar's largest city, Yangon, including its colonial heritage on display at City Hall, Victory Monument and other impressive 19th and early 20th-century buildings.

Fun facts: Myanmar, which is about the size of Texas, has a population of approximately 54 million. Around 7 million of those people live in Yangon. 87% of the Myanmar population is Buddist, about 3% Christian, 3% Hindu, 3% Muslim, and the rest is "other". Myanmar people tend to be decendants of either India or Thailand/Cambodia. And, you can still see facial characteristics of each in the Myanmar people.

Tomorrow, we leave Myanmar and head on to Thailand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Last known photo of Pokey & Gumby!Last known photo of Pokey & Gumby!
Last known photo of Pokey & Gumby!

We're not sure what happened, but somehow Pokey and Gumby were last seen in this photo. My guess is that they liked South Beach so much they decided to stay. We missed them on our trip.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.2kb