UK Adventure


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 19th 2017
Published: May 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

This blog is the first of our six month UK Adventure and only made possible by our availability to house sit properties/homes and caring for the owners pets all over the UK including Scotland, Wales and England. Something we have been doing for the last year and a half in Australia and found it so enjoyable we decided it was time to expand our availability into other countries like the UK.

After flying out of Melbourne, our first stop was in Hong Kong where we had basically a full day (20 hrs) to explore as much as we could fit in before having dinner, 6 hours sleep (at the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott) and then heading back to the airport for our next flight out to Gatwick airport in the UK.

While in Hong Kong we wanted to do the Cable Car to the top of the mountain, BUT it was closed due to maintenance so we took the bus to the top instead. We managed to get in a good hours sightseeing and then the heavens opened up (see the photo of the Big Buddha in the rain) a quick purchase of a couple of umbrellas and it was straight back to sight seeing.

Thanks to our research and the planning of this trip for over 12 months, everything has fallen into place and is running like clockwork. I.e. No mishaps. (touch wood).

What an eventful morning it was on arrival in the UK. Arrived at Gatwick Airport after a 12.5hr flight from Hong Kong at 06.30am. Through baggage collection and customs by 07.00am. Purchased our Oyster (public transport cards) and were on our way via the Gatwick express train to Victoria station and booked into our accommodation at The Franciscan Sisters by 08.00am, bought two new UK mobile SIM cards and a 2 day pass on London's famous "Big Bus" tours by 09.00am. We even had time to drop into one of London's famous "pubs" for a Steak & Ale pie with vegies for lunch.

On day 2 we clocked up over 15km walking (according to Lyn's pedometer) and visited Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and Big Ben again, The Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London which we spent some time exploring as it is the only place we haven't visited on any of our previous trips to the UK. Seeing the Crown Jewels and the Armoury were two of the highlights. We think King Henry the eighth was a little ambitious in the endowment department when he ordered his suit of armour. See photo.

Hope you enjoy reading about our adventures and the photo's we have taken.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

King Henry the XIII armorKing Henry the XIII armor
King Henry the XIII armor

We think he was being a little generous of protecting "his" family Jewels.


Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 24; qc: 103; dbt: 0.2149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb