Day around London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 11th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed for the Westminster area of London, with a 10am flight on the London Eye. It was also the anniversary of September 11. Bit wary, but we decided to take the tube for the first time. At the end of the first train, it was fine. We’d survived!! Turns out to be a fantastic form of transport, and fairly easy to find your way around!

After the Eye we headed next door to the London Aquarium. Was a bit disappointing, but at least we can say we’ve been there. We then headed for Westminster Abbey. This is a must-see attraction for anyone coming to London, religious or not. The architecture and masonry is amazing, the detail and size of the Abbey when you walk in makes your jaw drop. Then you see the stained glass windows!! They’re massive!! This is also the place where the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret are buried, so we paid our respects at the little chapel where they lie. Westminster Abbey is also the location of tombstones of Shakespeare, Charles Darwin, poets, musicians (such as Handel), and UK Prime Minister’s and others of importance. In the nave there lies the grave of an Unknown Soldier brought back from France in the 1800s.

After leaving the Abbey we headed for the Tower of London, home of the Crown Jewels. When we got to their location, we came across 4 inch solid metal doors. The jewels were amazing, they had royal jewels and possessions that were hundreds of years old, but still in perfect condition (naturally). After another jaw-dropping experience, we headed for Temple Church, which plays a role in the Da Vinci Code. Unfortunately, a sign at Temple Station informed us that the Temple was closed until the end of September. Bugger.

Next stop was to pick up our tickets for our package London dinner and show, Chicago. As time was passing quickly, we headed back to shower and change and headed for Planet Hollywood for a quick bite before the show. Meal was great, but was eat and run so didn’t have time to enjoy it too much!!

Chicago. Fantastic. The cast were great, and the conductor had a great sense of humour. Would definitely tell people to see a show when in London.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb