Toto... I dont think we are in Lethbridge anymore....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 9th 2004
Published: July 9th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Yeah.... im in London.....

I just thought I would start with that. I cannoit even believe that I am here. Really doesnt seem like it can be possible. London is so huge, i cont beleive it. It is like nothing that I have ever seen before, and i think that the enormity of this trip has just now hit me....
 


Jackie and I left the Library in Stratford and made our way down to the church where shakespeare was buried. When we got there, we were unfortunetly told that there was a wedding going on and we would not be able to see the grave until 1:45. Our train was to leave at 1:55, and the station was of course on the other side of the city, even with a cab, it would have been an impossible feat to do both. So, intstead, we said 'screw the train' and we went to see shakespeares grave. In fact, we hung out aroun the grave yard for about two hours... i know kinda creepy, but actually quite nice as we sat on a bench facing the river Avon and we were accompanied by a lovely but eccentric bird which we dubbed hubert, and cubert..... there was a lack of communication on the naming business. Anyway, as soon as the wedding was over, we went inside the church, which was already quite busy with tourists such as ourslelves. We went to the end, and low and behold, there was the grave... Shakespeare himself.... unbelievable, really. So, we showed our respected etc... then were about to leave, until the choir started singing, so we stayed in the church for some time and were serenaded by the wisconson choir group.... or something like that. Very nice.
 
We left Stratford, and arrived in London. A complete 180, really. London is insane. It is busy and quite intimidating at first, escpecially when you have been in quaint little towns all your life. I mean, Toronto is a cakewalk compared to this place. Really. Anyway,. we boarded the 'tubes' and made our way to our hostel, which to my dismay, is not in a prime location. however, I am coping with it with massive amounts of comfort chocolate and hand sanitizers. Luckily, we only sleep here. Anyway, today, we took the 'tube' to westminster at like 8:30 in the morning.... yeah, thats right, I woke up BEFORE 8:30....when we got up the stairs from the 'tube' we saw Big Ben right in front of us, then looking left the London Eye. We both nearly had heart attacks. We decided to take a ride on the London Eye, which was so insanily cool I can't even believe it. We were like 130 feet in the air or some crazy hight like that. WOW.
 
After that we strolled through St. James Park, and came across none other than Buckingham Palace, just in time for the Changing of the Guard. We watched that... very ceremonial and such... and then went for another stroll to find lunch as we had skipped breakfast in our haste to get on the London Eye.
 
After lunch we went on a mission to find a new recharger. Now, here is the story behind that one. First of all our camera is sadly a pain in the arse. It sucks up batteries like nothing I have ever seen. SO we needed to recharge after the first like 2 days. But, the recharger didnt work. So we bought new batteries and hoped that the recharger would work in the next city. It didnt. So we have been buying batteries over and over again, and it is costing a fortune, so we sent the recharger and adaptor back home as they are both as much use to us as rocks that weigh the same. Anyway, we went today to try and find an electronic store, but couldnt find any anywhere. For a large and advanced city, they are certenly lacking in the electrical shops. We did however come across the theatre in which we will be seeing Les Miserables, and I was so excited I literally got chills. All in all, we walked for about 8 hours today. Yeesh.... for people who hate walking, we really do alot of it.  So tomorow, we are not quite sure what we will be up to, but I assure you it will be interesting. Lots of love to everyone at home, miss you all!
 
Signing off from the biggest damn city I have ever been to,
SARAH!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb