Day 18 - London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 18th 2012
Published: April 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mark & Zac has a wonderful surprise for me this morning. We walked to Little Venice where we took a canal boat ride up to Camden Town, near the London Zoo. It was very pleasant pootling along the narrow, calm waterways.

Camden was not what I expected. I expected a pokey little area, with some markets around, what we were presented with was a bustling area, huge markets with every kind of food you can imagine, everything from pizza to Nepalese cuisine. The people of Camden tend toward the alternative, lots of tattoos, face metal, leather jackets, jeans with spikes in. Then, walking down the same street are the hippies, long flowing hair with flowers woven in, John Lennon glasses, loose fitting tie dye shirts and bell bottom trousers. Lots of performance artists too, got some neat shots of a couple of guys painted like tarnished bronze statues playing poker. There was a guy dressed in high vis overalls with a megaphone giving people crap on the bridge near the locks. He was hilarious. Zac bought some organic chocolate chip cookies from a place, they were awful. I mean, how hard is it to make chocolate goddamn cookies! These were just terrible, soggy, gritty and they tasted foul. Mark was feeling pretty crook with his 'man flu', so we went back to the hotel, stopping on the way for peanuts. Mark had a snooze, and Zac and I went to Hyde park to feed the squirrels. I just can't get sick of those little dudes, they are so funny, and cheap entertainment, a pack of unshelled peanuts cost 1.88 pound, and we were at the park for at least an hour and a half.

Dinner was at a local pub, its 9:50pm here, I need to pack my bag. Mark & Zac are drinking whiskey and coke and all is well. Our taxi arrives 5.25 tomorrow morning so we can catch the Eurostar to Paris..... again... no complaints from me!!



Tomorrow: 06.18am Depart St Pancras London on Eurostar 2nd class to PARIS


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb