Aussie, Aussie, Aussie..oi, oi, oi


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 12th 2006
Published: June 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Note to self: buy new suitcase!Note to self: buy new suitcase!Note to self: buy new suitcase!

This is how it looked after being dragged a few kms...it held up pretty well under the circumstances! Did I mention it was 30 degrees that day?
Go the socceroos....yeehah! We just sat in the Earls Court Tavern, eating battered chicken and chanting aussie, aussie, aussie as the socceroos fought back one nil down to score 3 goals in the last 6 minutes.....woohoo!!!!!
That was fun. We did spare a thought for the one lone japan supporter though, he was decked out in the blue and white gear and was proud as punch when japan scored the first goal. He even had to put up with a big 'get f*cked' from a drunken aussie, who then promptly apologised whilst offering him a beer. Although, he then threw in....'thats the only goal you're gonna get, and the only beer too', before shouting 'you owe me three beers mate' at the end of the match.
Okay, thats enough about the soccer, lets talk about England!
Well, as the last blog stated, we did head to Leeds on Saturday, and after having a look around, including a look at a couple of flats, we decided to head back to london where the action was, and live right in amongst it all. No idea what the decision was based on, as Leeds was a very nice city, guess we just wanted the
Comfy SeatsComfy SeatsComfy Seats

They turned out to be useful for seats at a non existant bus stop!
whole london experience more, so we're back, and loving it!!!
Here's a short story about our leeds adventure.....we asked the hotel guy to call us a cab to take us to the nearest bus station in order to get back to london. The 80yr old hotel guy said, no you'd be silly to call a cab, its just a short walk up the road. So we took his advice and took off on foot with our 30kgs of luggage each in tow.
Dont know if the old fella was having a lend of us, but it turned into an uphill walk from hell, with the damn bus stop no where in site. And, to top it off, the wheels fell off the suitcases, and as we continued to drag them, (not the greatest idea, but obviously based on laziness) they decided to come close to spontaneously combusting as a whopping hole tore through the case. I found it quite amusing that our suitcases were smoking, but poor micky was not impressed (probably cos he had to keep waiting for me to catch up to him, since I would rest after each metre of dragging my case).
But the suitcases then
False advertising at its best!False advertising at its best!False advertising at its best!

aaahhh, the majestic...our humble home for the past week!
came in handy as comfy seats as we sat on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, hoping a bus would go past.
hahahah. A bus did eventually pass, and thankfully pulled over (after giving us a strange look) and picked us up, smoking suitcases and all!
Mental note: need new suitcases!

We're currently staying in Kensington/Earls Crt, right in the heart of aussie territory, and guess what (you'll never guess) its been 30 degrees each day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And....according to the front page news today, England is experiencing an extreme heatwave! How funny is that. There was a huge traffic jam on one of the main highways a couple of days ago, and since the temperature reached a searing 28 degrees (yes that's only 28 degrees) helicopters dropped bottled water off to motorists who were dying from the heat! And, londoners have been frolicking in fountains trying to stay cool.....anyone would think we're talking about 50 degrees here, but nope, just a mild 28.
To their credit though, it is a hot 28, and considering they dont appear to have ever thought about installing air conditioning in any building or vehicles, there's no escape. Its actually quite
Carn the AussiesCarn the AussiesCarn the Aussies

This is the Earls Court Tavern where we watched the socceroos beat Japan. This picture was taken right after japan scored............
humid too. Who would have thought ey, not the stories I've heard about london weather. And...just for your info, it stays light til around 10pm here, and the sun seems to be up by 4am, so they're getting quite a bit of daylight here at the moment!
Well, its finally time to put our job hunting hats on, we thought we'd give it a go, prior to street begging and busking. Although we have come across a lot of positions available for people willing to test new drugs, it pays well too.....hmmm, definitely an option...only kidding mum, we'll be sticking to taking recreational drugs for no pay! :-)
We're doing a night tour of london tonight, just to do the touristy thing, so we'll have some pics for you shortly, so til then......























Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Time to celebrateTime to celebrate
Time to celebrate

This one was taken immediately after australia scored...... Also, if you look closely, you should see a marsupial of the 'national emblem' kind, standing in the cnr draped in an aussie flag....


13th June 2006

ok i'v read it
god, can't you have just one average day? I'm sick of hearing about more great time, its as if your rubbing our noses in it. Or just doing it to piss us off! I'd like to read a quick, "Yeah didn't do much today, just went out for lunch and sat around. THE END" i mean come on it can't all be that great! I'm loving the photo's and have a great appreciation for the effort and showmanship of the turtle riding! Nice one mick, loved it! Well thats my novel, hope you hated reading it as much as i do yours! Love ya's both and great to read your entry look forward to the next one! Good night

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb